NEW FACTORY OF THE HERSEY MFG. CO.
The Hersey Manufacturing company, of Boston, Mass., so well known to waterworks people as the manufacturers of Hersey meters, was established in 1859 by Charles H. Hersey and Walter E. Hawes. They occupied a small frame building near the corner of E and Second streets, South Boston,, the site of the present works, for the manufacture of steam engines and for a general machine shop business. This partnership proved quite successful, and in the year 1865 the firm was enlarged by the admission of Francis C. Hersey, who had represented the firm in South America for several years. The business continued to grow, and the partnership continued until 1X72, when Mr. Hawes retired from the firm.The business was then carried on by the Hersey5 under the firm name of Hersey Brothers. Thev continued the manufacture’of steam engines, and took up special soap machinery and later special sugar machinery, which is today used in every refinery and cane and beet-sugar factory in the United States and in every other country wlieie granulated or cube sugar is made. The first com mercial granulated and cube sugars were the product of the Hersey granulator and Hersey cube machine, invented by Charles H. Hersey. In addition to the manufacture of these specialties, in 1885 the Hersey Meter company, to manufacture water meters, was formed. In the year 1890 the name of Hersey Meter company was changed to Hersey Manufacturing company, and the company bought the general business of the Hersey Brothers. Charles H. Hersey continued as president and Francis C. Hersey as treasurer. James A. Tilden was made general manager, and Henry D. Winton, assistant manager. For the last sixyears Francis C. Hersey, jr., has been the purchasing agent, and for the last three years Walter A. Hersey had charge of the advertising of ‘he company. A city office for New England sales was established at Tremont Temple, Boston, in charge of Albert S. Glover, secretary of the company. It also opened an office at 220 Broadway, New York city, in charge of Fred A. Smith, and one at Chicago, which was later moved to Columbus. Ohio, in charge of A. H. McAlpine. The first water meter made by the company—the Mersey rotary—became very popular for its accuracy and durability; but the demand for a lower priced meter necessitated the manufacture of the Hersey disc meter. In January, 1896, the company mt the Hersey Torrent meter on the market. This meter was designed to measure water with the least possible retardation of pressure, to he used on the supplies for cities and towns, also standpipes and hydraulic elevators. The company also makes hot water meters and fire service meters. All of the meters mentioned above were designed and patented by Mr. Tilden, who in this work has been ably seconded by Mr. Winton. From time to time, as the business grew, the plant had been enlarged; but in 1906 it became necessary to add still further to the facilities; but, as all the available land was occupied, it was necessary to tear down the old low buildings and to erect high brick structures in their place. In order that the work of the concern might go on uninterruptedly, only part of the buildings were removed at a time. The first of these is now in the course of construction and was finished about the first of July. When completed, as shown in the illustration, the building will be 192 feet long, forty-two feet wide, and will be four stories high, with basement. It will be “mill construction,” thoroughly equipped with automatic sprinklers, and in the basement there will be a 75,ooo-gallon tank to supply an Underwriters fire pump. The construction of the building arid its fire protection apparatus make it almost entirely fireproof. The stairways in the building and the elevator will be in a fireproof tower. At the rear cf the building will be an addition ninety feet long and fifteen feet wide, given over entirely to the testing of meters. This addition will be onestory, and will have a glass roof to insure plenty of light. The company has always paid particular attention to testing meters before they are sent out, and their testing room will be one of the most complete in the country. Two large scaled tanks will be provided, also U tubes and pizometers, to be used in connection with the tanks for testing large meters for accuracy and loss of pressure. There will also be many small testing tanks for proving the smaller meters. In addition to the main building, there will be an extension two stories high, sixty feet long and forty feet wide, also a foundry 100 feet long and sixty-five feet wide. The company already has a very complete pattern and woodworking shop. “Iso a sheet-iron shop. When completed, it is expected that the Hersey Manufacturing company will have one of the best equipped and most modern meter shops in the country. As to equipment: The company already has the very latest and most up-to-date machinery that can be obtained, and this will be further added to upon the completion of the new factory.
The city solicitor of Wilmington. Del., has Riven it as his opinion that the Delaware Water company cannot lay water pipes across the streets of the city, without the consent of the local authorities. Nor can any railway company passing through the city lawfully lay water pipes in the same streets to supply that railway company, without the consent of the same local authorities. To do so would he against the State law on the subject.