New Fire Headquarters for Ogden

New Fire Headquarters for Ogden

Fire Chief L. L. Hadlock (left) and Battalion Chief Walter Bruce officially open new $275,000 Central Fire station on City Hall Park, Ogden, Utah. New house replaces old quarters built in 1891.

On July 5 the new Central Fire Station at Ogden, Utah, was officially placed in service.

The old headquarters, which was vacated, was built in 1891, when fire-fighting equipment was either drawn by hand or behind a stout pair of horses.

The new structure, which Ogden Fire Chief L. L. Hadlock terms “the last word,” occupies about 24,000 square feet of floor space. It is two stories high, with a basement and faces south on Twenty-sixth street between Washington boulevard and Grant avenue, in the heart of the downtown district.

On the ground floor are five doubletruck stalls, dispatchers office, complete Gamewell alarm headquarters, and a battalion chief’s quarters.

On the top floor are offices of the chief, a dormitory capable of billeting 35 men. recreation hall, dining room and complete modern kitchen facilities.

Nine brass poles provide easy access from the dorm to the spacious, roomy apparatus room, and automatic doors connected to the Gamewell alarm circuit roll up to allow crews to get away in a hurry.

The shower room is of the latest sanitary type and the locker room is tastefully furnished with color scheme of brown and green.

Fire department shop facilities are available on the ground floor, and there is a large hose room with air conditioned drying tower also rising from the ground floor, and a completely equipped hobby shop in the basement.

An auxiliary power unit, run by a six-cylinder engine, kicks in at the first faltering of electric powef, and maintains the building as an emergency center in event of power failure.

Fifteen men on two shifts each will man the station, Chief Hadlock said, and efficiency of the entire department will be substantially increased.

Now operating from Central station are a 1,000 gallon centrifugal, just delivered in time for station opening (a second similar truck will be delivered within the month), a 750 gallon centrifugal; a 500 gallon, single-stage centrifugal and a 100-foot aerial. Also on the equipment floor are an ambulance, a fire prevention car and a chief’s car.

City fire equipment, painted white for several years, is now being redone in red to match the two new pumpers, Chief Hadlock REPORTERS.

Previous articleExhibitors at San Francisco Conference
Next articleConvention Dates

No posts to display