NEW JERSEY FIRE NOTES.

NEW JERSEY FIRE NOTES.

The main building of the Waverley Paper Box Board company at Waverley was totally destroyed by fire with a loss of $70,000; other property was also damaged. The fire department of Newark responded to the alarm, and, when it left, the flames were extinguished, though a large amount of smouldering paper was left which would probably smoulder for several days.—At 2 o’clock a. m. on June 3 three lives were lost and a heavy fire-loss was sustained in the burning of the Newark Turn Verein hall. Only one stairway led from the janitor’s apartment to the street, and exit by that way was quickly cut off by the flames. Soon after the alarm was spread the janitor and his wife and child were seen frantically runnig about on the’ roof of an extension searching for some means to reach the ground. All perished in the flames. Several other families which occupied apartments in the building escaped. The interior of the building was burned out. The loss is about $25,000. An investigation into the origin of the fire and the loss of life is to he set on foot.—The board of fire commissioners of Belleville, N. J., has organised with the following officers: President, William 11. Hudson; secretary, John S. Price; treasurer, James N. Brown. It was intended to take up a contract with the Gamewell hire Alarm Telegraph company for the installation of a fire-alarm system; but it was decided to have the members first inspect the working of the system. A representative of another system asked the board why his com pany was not asked to submit a bid. It was explained that the first system had been recommended by Chief Murray.-c-The annual report of Fire Chief Ryan, of the Harrison fire department. shows that there were forty-one fires during the year, with a total damage of $8,450. He recommended (1) putting all apparatus in firstclass condition and the setting of more fire hydrants; (2) that any member doing less than sixty per cent, of fire-duty during the year should receive no remuneration; (3) the council passing an ordinance providing for the storing of gasoline and other combustibles.—Paterson’s firemen were called out to a fire in the Erie freight station on Railroad avenue. How it started is unknown. It was smartly handled by the fire department and extinguished with a loss of onlv $2.000.— A cigar stub carelessly thrown down in a house owned by C. A. Twomlev on Bridge street, Lambertville, started a fire on the third floor, which was burned through. The blaze was neatly and promptly put out bv the fire department, which is entirely volunteer and under the command of Chief G. W. Arnett.—Jersey City is having one of its steamers rebuilt and has ordered four combination wagons.— Trenton is having a steampropelled combination wagon built for its fire department.—Union has ordered a Metropolitan steam fire engine.—A Trenton engine company No. 7 has gone into service with Captain John Stcifbold in command. Its house is on Hamilton avenue.—Morristown has banqueted former Chief David L. F’ox and former Assistant Chiefs Joseph Ambrose and Cornelius Tiger. At the banquet Mayor Bennell presided and former Mayor Charlton A. Reed presented former Chief Fox with a gold watch. Former Alderman Smith followed suit with a gold fire-badge to Joseph Ambrose, and Alderman Morvery, with one to Cornelius Tiger. The last two had been assistant chiefs for ten and eight years respectively and former Chief Fox had held his office for eight years.

J. K. WILLIAMSON, M. E. Supt, N. Y. Continental Jewell Filtration Co.

No posts to display