New Jersey Fire Notes.

New Jersey Fire Notes.

The safety of a lot of valuable property on Broad street, Newark, was threatened when a fire broke out in the top floor of the Commercial Photographic studio, at No. 839. The fire was caused by the action of the chemicals used by the photographer, as happened on the same floor about four years ago, when the same photographer occupied the premises. In answer to the alarm came 4 steam engines (2 first-class, 1 extra-first and 1 double-extra first) ; 2 large hose wagons, 3 combination chemical engines and hose wagons, 2 large-size aerial trucks, the chief, deputy chief and 2 battalion chiefs, with the salvage corps and police reserves. Three of the wagons are equiped with the Glazier decknozzle. It was only a 1-alarm fire, but its location caused extra precautions to be taken. The high-pressure was turned on and its four streams worked so efficiently that only one engine was called upon. It threw one stream. The floors below were deluged with water and their contents (tailors’ goods and drygoods) very greatly damaged. The high-pressure streams were somewhat difficult to manage inside the building. The aerial ladder, as it was being raised, caught on a trolley guy wire stretched across the street. Frank Burrows, of truck No. 1, climbed to free it and was crawling over the rungs of the ladder when the truck suddenly moved forward and the ladder dropped. Burrows was left with his head hanging down and one leg between the rungs. Fortunately the ladder fell only part of the way and Deputy Chief Sloan, with the help of some of the firemen, extricated him’ He escaped with a sprained ankle. Burrows, however, who has only just joined the department, found it rather a rough first-experience.

A serious fire in a Newark saloon was quickly put out by an energetic policeman and a few pails of water. He saw smoke issuing from the door, and on running in found a small fire eating its way up the side wall, and the saloonkeeper and some of his customers trying to extinguish it. What was remarkable about the incipient blaze was that its apparent origin was the ignition from some cause or another of some roach powder which a demonstrating peddler of the stuff had sprinkled in the crevices of the floor near the wall. It is claimed that this suddenly burst into flame.

Fire that did about $10,000 damage destroyed six buildings, with twenty-one head of cattle, on the farm of Matthew Frank, near Hutchinson’s Mills, early in the night of Feb. 17. Midwinter lightning struck one of the barns on tlie premises, igniting it and starting a blaze that quickly spread to the other structures immediately ad joining, including the Frank home.

A Paterson correspondent writes that the “Volunteer hose company of the borough of Prospect Park has made up its full complement of members. It is a new company, and at present all its members are ftdl of zeal and attend the meetings with the greatest regularity. The officers are as follows: President, Krine Hook; vice-president, Barney Stap; secretary, Latuberttts Toun; treasurer, Philip Bregman. The company has asked the council of the borough to give them 12 fire buckets, 3 hooks, a 30-ft. lad der and 2 lanterns. Although the borough has but a small population, it has two fire companies, only one of which—the above organisation, claims to be ‘official.’ The other is not in such favor, the reason being that some of its members live in this city.”

Atlantic City merchants have been rudely disabused of the idea that, with the new water mains recently laid and the well equiped and efficient local fire department -and commonly accepted means for quickly extinguishing and keeping down fires, the insurance rates would be reduced. The Underwriters’ Association has shown the idea thus entertained to be utterly erroneous. The secretary and inspector, after having gone over the ground, still cling to the notion that a big conflagration is quite within the possibilities— and the rates remain the same.

New Jersey Fire Notes.

New Jersey Fire Notes.

The Newark board of fire commissioners has added a new standing committee to those already existing—that on theatres, schools and public halls. It will have these duly investigated and reported upon as to their fitness for the specific objects for which they were built or opened, and whether or not they conform to the building and other laws as to safety in case of fire, panic or other emergencies.—Lieutenants Frederick Henze and Joseph McCree, of the Newark fire department, rescued two little children from a burning apartment in the 4-story building at 75 Mercer street, who had been left by their mother asleep, while she went to a neighboring store. A woman in the floor below, seeing smoke issuing from the windows above her, ran up the back way and burst the door open, but could not find the children. Meanwhile the fire department had arrived, and the two lieutenants broke in the front door and found the two little ones huddled up unconscious (one slightly burned) on the floor. How the fire originated no one knows. It started in a closet.

In order to give aid speedily in cases of fires in the country about Trenton, Chief Allen, of the fire department, has arranged with the local and suburban trolley lines for the construction of trucks to transport fire apparatus. Many towns in New Jersey and Pennsylvania will he protected in this way. The need for the trucks was made apparent when the recent Princeton fire occurred. The Trenton firemen were much delayed by their inability to get transportation facilities.

Summit has made provision for the payment of $12 per year to its active volunteer firemen, of whom there are 4 companies. No company is to have more than twenty members, and in order to be entitled to the yearly compensation a fireman must have attended at least 50 per cent, of the fires that have occurred during the year. Greater authority has been vested in the chief of the department over the men and their quarters, and the name of any fireman who, without having a valid excuse, fails to attend fires is to he dropped from the rolls. Each company is to he allowed $60 per year for the payment of a janitor.

As there are too many firetraps in the congested portion of Atlantic City, the building inspector demands immediatae legislation to prevent its pemetuation. As yet nothing practical has been done in the way of decreasing the city’s fire risks.—A bill will probably be passed by council creating the office of fire commissioner, with a fixed salary. If it passes, the council will no longer directly control the department.

Bayonne will build an addition to its municipal building, which will be occupied by the paid fire department as its headquarters.

Henry Nagle, engineer of engine company No. 2, was badly hurt, while trying to stop the 3-horse team attached to engine No. 2. These had run driverless out of the house on an alarm sounding immediately after the hose wagon and were running down a steep grade, when the big engine toppled over. The horses were temporarily thrown down, but quickly recovered and were uninjured. The engine was wrecked. It is hoped Nagle will recover.

Chief Patrick Mealey, of the Gloucester fire department, was thrown from his wagon, while answering a fire the other night, and received such grave internal injuries that he will be confined to his bed for several weeks. No bones were broken; but he had to undergo an ugly operation.

South Orange, it is honed, will soon effect a permanent arrangement for its fire department. If firemen now think they will do better work under a chief of their own choice, and wish to appoint their own chief and assistant chief, who will act with the same compensation—$12 yearly— as the other members, and will themselves fill all vacancies in their ranks. The trustees proposed to elect a permanent chief and pay him $1,200 a year.—The township seeks co-operation with the village fire department, whereby the latter will respond to fires in the township, where it would be possible, especially where the blaze occurred near the dividing line of the two municipalities. The committee will buy a plot for the use of the volunteer department’, and a connlidation of the volunteer fire companies will be effected.

Toms River fire company has elected Adolph Ernst president, and Roland Buckwalter chief.

At Meriden, Conn., a contract has been awarded the Combination Ladder company, of Providence, R. I., for $1,000 worth of new hose.