The fires in the city have been more numerous than formidable. Since midnight on May 13. to the corresponding period on May 20, they have numbered 80. Of these, the most noticeable were a three alarmer for the Metropolitan Steam Power Company Nos. 9-13 Baxter street The flames broke out in the engine room, but extended to the upper floors of the building in which were 150 employes, all of whom escaped safely. As the neighborhood abounded in workshops and is thickly populated, the three alarms were sent in. The damage done did not exceed $12,000. The fire broke out again twice, but was speedily extinguished.

No. 235 West Fifty-fourth street, a three-story marble front building, was damaged pretty severely by an early morning fire which was discovered by a young lady in the next house. When the firemen arrived flames were shooting from the seccond and third story windows. An hour’s work was necessary to extinguish the blaze. Only a carpet, a couple of beds, and some rubbish were in the house, which was empty at the time. The second and third floors were badly damaged. The cause of the lire is unknown.

Four times in one month the four story old-fashioned tenement house at 223 Stanton street has been on fire, the tenants are convinced by incendiaries. The police think the same,as kerosene was smelt very strongly in the hallways. The damage sustained was but slight.

Nos 206-208 Fulton street, form a five-story building, the second, third and fourth stories of which are occupied by, the Martin B. Brown Company as a printing office. An evening fire was discovered by the firemen of engine company No. 29 and hook and ladder company No. 10, whose station is nearly opposite. Six engines and two hook and ladder companies were soon at work, as the fire was a hard one to fight, and the smoke from the oil, paper, and printer’s ink very dense and suffocating. A water tower had to be sent for in the end. Loss, $1,300; covered by insurance.




Of the big six-story building at Laight street, St. John’s Lane, and York street, only the walls were left after a fierce fire which, starting in the rooms of Bernard Ulmann & Co., at 1.30 a. m., on March 6, situated on the fourth floor, burned out the whole interior of the structure, and after sinking the $50,000 worth of contents in a mass of debris in the basement, continued to burn there, harmless for further destruction, but still hot and stubborn, up till noon. Five alarms were sounded for the fire, the fifth at 2.20 o’clock, or nearly an hour after the first. The losses are distributed among the Radam Microbe Killer Company, occupants of the basement and first floor of No. 7 Laight street; Bernard lllnnnn A Co., embroidery, occupants of the five upper stories of No. 7 Laight street; Garvin & Co., George K. Garvin, president, manufacturers of tools, and the building itself. Insurance covers everything to the amount of nearly $300,000. As soon as the firemen arrived. Chief Lally, turned in two more alarms. Two water towers Nos. 1 (stationed in Laight street) and 2 (stationed in York street), threw ton upon ton of water into the central floors, but a large belting hole on the third floor, through what would otherwise have been an impenetrable brick partition, admitted the fire into the oil-soaked floors of the Garvin Company, and all that was left to the firemen to do, was to confine the fire to the one building. This was no easy task, and at one time Si. John’s church and the adjoining buildings were in danger. The flames, however, were kept to the place of origin, anti, thus repelled, finally settled to work on the inside, and floor after floor was loosened and dropped. At last at four o’clock the greatest crash came; the second floor of Nos. 9 and 11 Laight street fell with the heavy machinery of the Garvin Company. The fire rose with hottest fury, but the firemen knew it was practically over. It was soon in control. The water tower and engines in St. John’s lane had to be moved because of falling walls; but the side engines could do the work now. They had plenty of water and spread it over the whole neighborhood, and when the daylight came there was a crater of fire surrounded by a frozen frosted rim, with beautiful trimmings, sparkling icicles. Hundreds of business men stopped on their way to their offices to admire the spectacle.

Two old shanties were burned down in West Forty-seventh street on the morning of March 5. As the immediate neighborhood was dotted over with small frame buildings, Chief Bonner turned in three alarms. The fire started in the onestoried stable of Thomas Smith, No. 627 West Forty seventh street, containing five horses. These were got out by Smith, who was awakened by a passer-by who discovered the fire. The flames communicated to the next shanty, a one-and-ahalf-story building between Smith’s house and the stable. It is used as a smoke-house. The flames were fought hard by the firemen, and after an hour’s work they got the fire under control. The smoke-house and stable were burned. Smith’s house was damaged somewhat. A stable belonging to Henry Schiederberg, on Forty-eighth street, in the rear of Smith’s stable, was partly burned. The damage is about $3,000.

Twenty families were driven from their apartments in the six-story brick double tenement at No. 79 Suffolk street cariy on the morning of March 7, by a fire which consumed the bake shop of H. Hegler, in the basement. Policeman Boothney, of the Delancey street station, discovered the fire and sent in the alarm at 2 o’clock, When Chief A beam arrived with the firemen he sent in a second alarm, upon learning that there were more than a hundred tenants in the building. The tenement is occupied almost wholly by Hebrews. The baker’s shop was fireproof, and stood the test well.

The upper part of the five-story stone building, No. 160 William street, which five years ago was destroyed by fire, was burned early on the morning of March 10. Richard Herman & Co., printers and lithographers, who occupy the three upper floors, sustained $25,000 damage; and the National Sponge and Chamois Company, on the ground floor, had their stock damaged to theamountof $2,000 by water. The building, whichis under the control of Horace S. Ely, sustained about $10,000 damage. The fire was a hot one while it lasted, and Chief Castles as a precaution, turned in a second alarm. ‘The fire burned through the roof from the third floor. To avoid creating a draught, the firemen raised ladders to the fire escapes on the third floor, and fought the fire back from the windows. Quite a large amount of valuable machinery was ruined.

George Fink, eighteen years old, the imbecile son of a wellto-do family of No. 695 Morris avenue, who has a mania for incendiarism, set fire to a bam full of horses at 160th street and Melrose avenue, on March 11. Policeman M. E. Cushing. of the Morrisunia station, discovered the fire and extinguished it without aid before any damage was done. ‘The boy has been committed to the house of industry till his parents know how to look after him better

The fires in New York city from midnight on March 4 to the corresponding period on March 11 were 54 in number.