Oldest Member of Rhode Island Department is Killed by Fall, when Rendered Uneonsriona by Smoke—Fires of the Week

ONE member of the Newport, R. I., fire department killed and another very badly injured, some $200,000 of damage to city property and the destruction of many valuable municipal records was the result of a blaze in the city hall in that city in the early hours of March 24. This was the third fire in the city hall in six weeks, and the second within twenty-four hours of the time the last fire occurred. While the fire was of unknown origin, it was suggested that it might have been in-

The Newport, R. I., City Hall, Shortly After the Fire had been Extinguished.

cendiary, and an investigation was begun by the city authorities to determine this fact.

The alarm was received at 3:35 a. m., and on the arrival of Acting Chief Joseph E. Lawton, who was in command owing to the illness through pneumonia of Chief Kirwin, he at once sent in a second alarm. Chief Lawton says that the fire seemed to be in all of the partitions of the building when he arrived. The structure was of three stories, 70 x 105 feet, and built of stone and wood. There were 92 regular firemen present and the apparatus consisted of three motor pumpers, five combination cars and two ladder trucks. There were seven 4-inch hydrants in use, spaced from 500 to 700 feet apart, with a pressure of 50 pounds. Two hydrants and nine engine streams were thrown, with nozzle sizes of 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 inches. Some 6,650 feet of hose were laid, of which two lengths burst during the fire.

The fireman who was killed was Captain John Malloy, the oldest active member of the fire department. He fell down a (light of stairs, after being overcome by smoke, and died from his injuries soon after being taken to the hospital. A call member of the fire department was also badly hurt when the cupola of the building crashed down upon him.

Mayor Sullivan, of Newport, has appointed Captain Charles S. Freeborn as acting deputy chief during the illness of Chief Kit win, to serve during the chief’s illness.

The aldermen directed the chief of the fire department to make a survey of every public building in the city each night between the hours of 10 and 12 o’clock. The aldermen took charge of the funeral services for Captain Malloy.

Erie, Pa., Buys Pumper—Frie, Pa., awarded a contract for furnishing an American-EaErance triple combination car to be placed in Station 8.

Los Angeles to Have New Fire Boat—A bid by the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Dry-Dock Corporation for the construction of a new fireboat for the city of Los Angeles has been accepted, according an announcement by Chairman Boyle Workman, of the harbor committee of that city. The boat is to have seven Wilton engines and to cost $214,000.

Hartington, Neb., Fire Co. Reorganized —The Hartington, Neh., fire company was recently reorganized. The company, which consists of 50 men, has been divided into four divisions: Hook and ladder, hose, chemical and truck divisions.

Drill will lie held monthly from May to September and each member will receive pay for drill as well as for fire duty. J. C. Roskopf is fire chief and R. E. Allison assistant chief.

No posts to display