NEWTON AND ITS FIRE DEPARTMENT.
CHIEF RANDLETT’S seventh report (the twenty-sixth report) of the Are departNewton, Mass., tells of 208 alarms—(forty-nine less than in 1900), of which two were second alarms;one was a generl alarm; and four were out of the city. Of the eighty building fires, one i n volved total destruction; twenty-eight, partial; thirty, slight damage; twenty-one, no damage claimed. The value of the buildings was $764,300, of contents, $202,045—total, $566,345; loss on building, $37,885.95, on contents, $16,887.80—total, $54,723.75; insurance on buildings, $315,100, on contents, $153,640, insurance on buildings, $33,187.95, on contents, $13,887.80—total, $47,075.75; total insurance at risk, $468,500; assessed value of real estate at risk, $3o9,750. The manual force of the department consists of two officers and twenty-seven men uniformed and permanently employed—an increase of one during the past year—and a call force of ten foremen, ten assistant foremen, and forty-five hose and truckmen. There are nine stations connected with the department, the newest of which, No. 6 hose station, built last year, stands out in bold contrast with the old house of No. 2 engine. This, one of Newton’s first fire stations, was built in 1823 and stood on Boylston street, Newton Upper Fulls. It was sold in 1855 for $18.50 and is nowin Rockland place, in about the same condition as when abandoned as a fire station upwards of fifty years ago. An illustration of each building accompanies this article. The fire alarm telegraph (Gamewell) system is having a $1,000 dial transmitter built for it, to be placed at the central office. Chief Randlett, as inspector of wires, recommends that for safety’s sake the wires be placed underground. Among the chief’s other recommendations are the following: A supply wagon, fully equipped with extra tools, and to carry rubber covers, etc.; an additional fire station ; an enlarged storage reservoir—the present on Waban hill being too small for the requirements of the city: and the connection of the dead ends of the mains on Chestnut hill and Institution hill, so as to provide a better supply of water for fire protection. The Firemen’s Relief association, of which Chief Randlett is president, received a donation of $50 last year from F. E. Whiting. Its expenditures during the year amounted to $114 on two beneficiaries. The committee on fire department consists of Alderman J.Frank Lyman (chairman),dames A. Lowell; Walter Chesley; John E. Bristow; Walter H. Pulsifer. The officers are: Chief W. B. Randlett, appointed fire alarm operator, October 1, 1S84, assistant chief, March 16, 1885, chief, July 9,1894; assistant chief, F. H. Humphrey, appointed to call force in 1873, promoted to be assistant chief, November 6, 1894.