William Newell, consul at Managua, writes as follows :
“The Masaya water-works have been in operation since September 1, and were commenced about two years ago. The originators of this enterprise are foreigners, though a large portion of the stock is owned by Nicaraguans. The estimated cost of the plant is $130,000.
“The point from which the water is derived is known as Tincuantepe, distant from Masaya sixteen miles and elevated above the city 800 feet. Around the fall of Tincuantepe the scenery is very picturesque. The water is pure, wholesome, and clear as crystal. At Nindiri. a small Indian village, one and one-half miles from Masaya, the company has built an immense reservoir, with an elevation of 140 feet, capable of holding 600.000 gallons. From Nindiri to Masaya there is a pressure equal to 500 pounds to the square inch.
“ The mains are of three and four inch iron pipe. The principal main is laid on Monibo street. Few mains as yet have been laid on the side streets. This company was organized with a capital stock of $126,000, that is, thirty shares at $4200 per share. The piping was purchased in the United States. There is every indication to believe that the enterprise will prove a paying one. Masaya has a population estimated at j6,000, and is on the line of the National railroad running from Managua to Gransda.
“Masatepe is a small village about one hour and a half’s ride from Masaya, and has within and around its confines a population of 10,000. The source of the water supply is Lake Masaya. This lake lies 300 feet below the town of the same name, surrounded, excepting on the western side, by precipitous cliffs, down which three or four rocky paths have been cut. In order to reach a proper level, the water is pumped from the lake to a height of 1020 feet. The length of the main, that is, from the lake to Masatepe, is three miles. A company was organized to construct these works on a basis of 1000 shares at $25 per share, and it is estimated that the plant cost $25,000.
“On the 7th of July last a concession was granted by the city of Leon to a company for the introduction of water and the erection of the necessary work. A company has been organized with a capital stock amounting to $107,500, divided into 215 shares at $500 per share. The municipality of Leon has subscribed for six shares. It is believed that the works will not cost less than $r20,ooo. The water is to be taken from the Rio Chiquita, distant about half a mile lrom the city. It is understood that the company will lay about thirteen miles of piping between now and the early part of next year.
“ The enterprise should be successful, as it has a greater population to draw from than any other portion of Nicaragua. The inhabitants of Leon are supposed to number 40,000.”