NOTES FROM WESTFIELD, MASS.
[S|ecMi1ljr written for Kins AND WATKH,].
WESTFIELD, MASS., June 28, 1898.
What is virtually the new engine house at North Elm street is ready for occupancy. This is an immense improvement upon the old barn of a place and adds a second to the number of first class engine houses in the town.—It took Chief Byers over a week to find out why the fire alarm signals kept up continuously ringing without any one pulling the boxes or there being any fire to call out the department. An expert lineman, however, speedily located the source of the annoyance. It proceeded from a pole at Holland avenue where is fixed box 64. 1 he wire had sprung an opening and whenever the pole swayed to and fro—however slightly—the circuit was broken and fire bell and whistle woke the echoes—and the townsfolk besides. Chief Byers had the whistle cut out from the circuit. The defect was afterwards remedied and now there is no further trouble.—One of the linemen has a narrow escape the other day. He had just come down from a pole, after fixing box 57 at the corner of Bates and Court streets.when the ramshackle old stick,which was one of the first setupseveral years ago when the fire alarm system was5 first put in, came down with a run and fell athwart the road, It had become so completely rotten at the bottom that the wonder was it had not fallen long ago. The other poles of that date will all be looked after for fear of another crash, with, perhaps, fatal results.— Quite a bad fire took place here on Sunday night, when the barn owned by L F, Thayer on Silver street was burned,with all its contents, including much valuable property stored in it and some live stock. T he firemen did well in preventing the flames from spreading.