Olean Well System of Water Supply.
The public water supply for the city of Olean, N. Y., is derived from 108 driven wells, located on the north side of the Allegany river, on river flats adjoining the river, and west of South Union street. There are 52 3-in. wells, driven to a depth of 27 ft.; 52 3-in. wells, driven to depth of 36 ft.; 2 6-in. wells, 72 ft. deep, and 2 8-in. wells, 72 ft. deep. The wells are driven through 5 ft, of soil, 7 ft. of clay, 7 ft. of sand and front 8 to 17 ft. of gravel. The well pipes connect with two Hi in. suctionmains leading to the pumping station, located on the south side of the river. Near the pumping plant is the equalising well, known as the Cook well, located some 50 or (50 ft. from the river. The ground surface at the Cook well and at the pumping plant has an elevation of 10 or 12 ft. above the river at ordinary high water stage, The well is formed by a circular wall of 111 in. paving brick masonry, 40 ft. deep and extending about (5 ft. above ground. Its diameter is about 15 ft,, and at the time of investigated into the quality of the water, the water-level in the well was about 17 ft. below the top of the curbing. Either one or the other of the pumps is operated from twelve to twenty hours at a time, during which time the water-level in the well is lowered from 7 to 10 ft. The water is forced to a reservoir on the hill south of the river. A new and larger storage-reservoir, with a capacity of 9,000,000 gal., was put into use in 1908.