Opera House Burned at Newton
The opera house at Newton, Kan., with most of its contents was burned with a loss of about $81,600, on New Year’s day. The value of contents was $33,000, the loss of contents about $6,600. It was a three story brick and stone building, 75 by 165 feet, on the main street, 30 years old, and was without fire fighting equipment. The fire started in a dressing room from an unknown cause and the alarm sent in at 2.30 a. m. The building had fires escapes. The dressing rooms and stage were burning briskly when the department, in command of Chief Guy Kemper, arrived on a telephone alarm, and with two streams from an American-La France triple motor engine, and three hydrant streams, the fire was confined to the building. A deluge set was also used. Adjoining buildings were slightly damaged. A gravity and direct pumping water system, through a 10-inch main, and four 4-inch hydrants, 250 feet apart, furnished water. The pressure at the commencement of the fire was 25 pounds and was increased to 75 pounds. 2,600 feet of hose were used, 5 lengths of which burst. The street is 100 feet wide.