Orange, Tex., Fire Department
Chief Gill, of Orange, Tex., sends the following item relating to his department and a photograph from which the accompanying illustration is made: “As the picture shows, we have all motor apparatus and have not owned a horse since March, 1917. We have one Ford hose truck, one six-cylinder Reo chemical, one American-LaFrancc combination chemical and hose wagon, type 10, and one American-LaFrance piston, pumper, which was delivered in April, 1918. The firemen of Orange received great credit in stopping the big fire here on July 4, in the shipyard. We had to cross the river with pumper on a barge and worked the pumper from the barge for five hours and 15 minutes continuously through three lines of hose of 300 ft. each, and succeeded in stopping the fire on the ship that we worked on, which was only 40 ft. away from another shipyard that never was fired on account of the good work of the firemen.” The department has a membership of 26 men, two of whom are full paid and 24 volunteers. J. B. Gill is chief and George F. Rexes assistant.