Oregon Fire Chiefs Meet
The Seventh Annual Convention of the Oregon State Fire Chief’s Association was held at Corvallis, Oregon, on June 21 to 24, 1926, with the largest attendance since its organization, Chief Wm. Priebe, of Oregon City, presiding.
A committee was appointed to draft a bill to be presented to the next Legislature in January. 1927, to provide for a Firemen’s College course in connection with the Oregon State Agricultural College. The State Fire Marshal reported that under the State laws passed by recommendation of the Association, the fire hose and hydrants in every city in Oregon and all (except two or three) large manufacturing plants had been standardized to the Underwriters National Standard, and also the standpipes on all large buildings. The sale of fire hose without standard threads is prohibited under penalty.
Mr. Elkins, of the State Industrial Accident Commission reported that most of the volunteer fire departments were under the protection of the Commission, and explained that under the Oregan law, volunteer firemen, regardless of amount of compensation, can be brought under the benefits of the Worken’s Compensation Act by payment of 90 cents per month per man, and in case of injury while performing their duties as firemen, they are entitled to the same free hospital service and as high rate of compensation as the highest paid workmen. The fees are paid by the cities.
A course in first aid was given by Mr. Shoning, of the U. S. Bureau of Mines, about 25 chiefs receiving certificates of proficiency.
Salem, Oregon, was selected for the 1927 convention on a date to be selected later.
The officers elected were: Roy Elliott. Medford. President; Wm. Nusbaum, Eugene, 1st V. P.: Ivan Pearson, McMinnville, 2nd V. P. James Fletcher, Jr., Roseburg, Treasurer; Thos. Coates, Tillamook, Secretary.