Overhead Wires Hinder Dallas Fire Department

Overhead Wires Hinder Dallas Fire Department

In combating a blaze which caused a loss of $26,000 in a cafe and restaurant in Dallas, Tex., on Aug. 13, the firemen were greatly retarded in their work by overhead wires. The fire, which was started by a defective gas range in the kitcen on the first floor, burned one and a half hours, but is progress was confined to the building in which it originated. When First Assistant Chief T. A. Myers responded to the alarm sent in by the chief at 11.42 p. m., with a complement of 60 men, 2 American-La France engines of 1,000 and 1.500 gallons capacity, 1 motor truck, 1 motor chemical and hose wagon, 1 aerial truck, 4 hose wagons and 4 engines, he found flames leaping half way across the 80 foot street in front of the burning building. Dense clouds of smoke forced those firemen working inside to use helmets. There were 26 persons employed on the premises. One life was lost through suffocation because of an insufficient number of exits, there being only one rounding stairway. There was no private fire protection on the property. The damaged structure, known as the Doran Building, is a 2-storv, 35 years old, brick and wood edifice, occupying a 70-ft. by 150-ft. lot in the business section of Dallas. It had 8 wooden partition walls. There were 25 six-inch double hydrants placed 200 feet apart and having a water pressure of 07 pounds available for use. Nine engine streams were thrown. Three thousand feet of cotton rubber-lined hose with 1 ⅛and 1 1/4-inch nozzles were used. Water was supplied by direct pumping and standpipe through a 16-inch main. The property was valued at $25,000 and the contents of the building, consisting of cafe fixtures, at $16,000 before the fire. The loss on the buildings is estimated at $14,000 and on the contents at $12,000.

No posts to display