Overheated Furnace Cause of Holley Fire

Overheated Furnace Cause of Holley Fire

It is thought that an overheated furnace in the engine room was the cause of the fire that recently destroyed a portion of the plant of the cider and vinegar plant of the Duffy-Mott Company, Holley, N. Y. The building in which the fire started was largely of wood construction and was about 36 years old. its age offering assistance to the rapid spread of the flames. Smoke was observed pouring from the building about 12.25 p.m. by an employee of a neighboring concern who gave the alarm. The fire department arrived in quick time under command of Chief C. H. Bartlett, who found the entire third and fourth floors of the four story structure involved and it soon became evident that efforts to save it were hopeless and the chief telephoned for assistance to the towns of Albion, Brockport and Kendall, whose departments made speedy response. The Dye Hose Company of Albion was held up on the way by the necessity for uncoupling a freight train that blocked the crossing, but even at that, were at the fire in 19 minutes. The local companies made record time in getting to the fire, the Glenwood Hose getting out of its station before the whistle had stopped blowing, with the Hook and Ladder a close second. The plant was not protected by sprinklers but had a private hydrant, hand extinguishers, fire barrels and pails. The 90 men engaged employed five motor fire trucks and a ladder truck and laid 2,400 feet of cotton rubber-lined hose, of which three lengths burst, causing some hindrance. Smoke helmets were used. The men were hampered by the intense heat, it being necessary to turn streams of water frequently on the men at the nozzles, to enable them to keep at their posts. It was regarded as extremely fortunate that an 8-inch water main had been recently installed in that district, as otherwise it would have been impossible to get the quantity of water needed, but as it was, the departments succeeded in preventing the fire from spreading seriouly. Adjacent buildings caught fire many times, from flaming embers blown about by the wind but the flames were always extinguished before much damage was inflicted. The fire was brought under control in five hours, but firemen remained on watch all night, lest it should break out again. Five 4-inch double hydrants were available and 7 hydrant streams were thrown. The loss to building and contents, including new and valuable machinery, amounted to $200,000.

Previous articleConvention of New York State Firemen
Next articleFire Losses of the Month of June

No posts to display