Overheated Stove Sets Fire to Carthage Dry Goods Store

Overheated Stove Sets Fire to Carthage Dry Goods Store

A coal stove on the second floor left unattended overnight with draughts on caused a bad fire in the dry goods store of J. M. Whitsett, on the north side of the square, in Carthage, Mo., on December 10, at about 2.15 a. m. The stove became overheated and set fire to a wooden partition, and the blaze had burned through the upper ceiling into the attic and through the floor to the lower story, when the firemen answered the phone alarm. The building was a two-story brick structure, 25×100 feet, and being fully 35 years old, was dry and inflammable. It took Chief S. S. Matthews and his eight men, with their combination hose and chemical machine and ladder truck, four hours to bring the fire under control. In accomplishing this five hydrant streams were thrown, from five 6inch double hydrants, 250 feet apart, with a pressure of 120 pounds. The main was 8 inches in size. 1,200 feet of hose was used and nozzle dimensions were from ⅝ to 1⅛ inches. The loss on the building, valued at $95,000, was $25,000. The contents, dry goods, etc., including the stock of the A. M. Deutsch Clothing Co., in the adjoining building, which was also damaged, was valued at $55,000, loss $30,000. The department was much hampered by the intense cold, the thermometer standing at 5 degrees below zero, with a fall of 20 inches of snow, and the men suffered with frost-bitten fingers and toes.

No posts to display