Paid Department at Conneaut, O.
GENERAL NEWS FEATURES
Conneaut, O., now has a paid fire department consisting of a chief who receives a salary of $1,000, four men, who are on duty all the time, and receive salaries of $900 each, and six call men who are on duty only when there is a fire. The apparatus includes an AmericanLa France, 750 gallons capacity motor pumping engine, which carries 1,000 feet of hose and is equipped with a 40-gallon chemical tank. Thomas J. Gough is chief and F. E. Decker as captain is second in command. Chief Gough has been a member of the department twenty years. Before that he was a member of the Cleveland department. He reorganized the Conneaut department in 1804 and has been chief for several years. He is senior vicepresident of the Ohio State Firemen’s Association. The Conneaut department was organized in the early fifties. Its first apparatus was a “coffee mill” hand engine; later it had a modern hand engine named “Cataract.” The “Cataract” company has been in existence for more than sixty years. Truck Company No. 1, Niagara, Protection and Hayward hose companies were organized in 1894. The department has a Gamewell alarm system with 41 signal boxes.
The engines of the New Haven, Conn., department are being tested by engines of the National Board of Fire Underwriters. Some years ago the department refused to allow underwriters to test its engines.