Paint Fumes Cause Fire in Railway Building
A recent fire in a shop of the Southern Pacific Railway, at Los Angeles, Cal., was caused by fumes of paint in a tightly closed building, on a hot day, resulting in spontaneous combustion. The fire started in the paint shop, in which were 12 freshly painted passenger coaches. It was closed at 3:30 p. m. and the fire was discovered at 5:53 p. m. The building was one-story high, of brick construction and was 25 feet from any other building. It had no partitions and covered a space 150×250 feet. When the fire department, under Chief R. J. Scott, arrived, the entire structure was a mass of flames and the.roof collapsed. Forty-five men were in action and employed one LaFrance combination pumper, one Gorham pump and one second size LaFrance steamer, and laid 2,500 feet of hose. Three twoinch company hydrants and some city hydrants were available and had 30 pounds pressure. The fire was stopped in the building of origin in one hour and forty minutes, having destroyed the $50,000 building completely and damaged the contents, valued at $150,000, to the extent of $125,000.