Parade of Motor Apparatus at Lynn
The Lynn, Mass., fire department is one of the important ones in that state which is completely motorized. It has 21 pieces of apparatus and 2 chiefs’ cars, a total of 23 pieces, which cost $87,545, and includes 5 engines and 4 ladder trucks with tractors, one motor pumping engine, 5 hose wagons, 3 hose-chemical wagons, 2 chemical engines, 1 auxiliary squad wagon, and 2 chiefs’ cars. The first of these was received in July, 1910, and the last on the ninth of this month. Three-fourths of it has been received inside of 18 months. There was a parade of all this apparatus under the command of Chief E. E. Chase at 11 a. m., August 11, when the State Permanent Firemen’s Association was holding its annual convention in that city. All the apparatus, and men. arranged in a half circle, were photographed. Thousands of people witnessed the parade, which twice passed in review before city officials and others at City Hall. It was an exceptionally well arranged parade. All pieces of apparatus were some distance apart and moved slowly, allowing all to obtain a complete view of each piece. The men, all handsomely uniformed, rode on the apparatus and made an excellent showing. It was one of the best arranged demonstrations of fire apparatus ever made without even a minor defect to mar its appearance. There was not a horse in it. Ideal weather added to its success. There were hundreds of firemen from many outside cities and towns, outside of delegates to the convention, in the city, to seen the parade. Among the chiefs present were: W. O. Arnold, of Salem; H. L. Marston, Brockton; George Cushing, Hingham; Horace Billings, Quincy; J. F. Barrett, Peabody; Joseph Edwards, Melrose; F. E. Tracy, Woburn; H. C. Cahoon, Swampcott; G. P. Osborn, Newbeauport: J. F. Leonard, Belmont; G. H. Butler, Malden.