PEAT’S RESIDENCE BURNED

PEAT’S RESIDENCE BURNED

The residence of Alfred Peats, who is physically and mentally infirm, was burned at Greenwich, Conn., by a night fire, the result, some say. of a lamp exploding in the room of his eight-year-old daughter, or, as others claim, of crossed electric wires. The little girl’s clothes took fire, and her mother and aunt rushed to save her, carrying her outside with her clothes on fire. They were extinguished, but the child has since died from her burns. The mother and aunt were both seriously hurt, but will recover. Mr. Peats was carried out by the servants. The alarm was not turned in at once, owing to the excitement, and the firemen were further handicapped by being told that two of the towers of the house were filled with about 1,000 rounds of ammunition, as was proven by the fact that, when these towers caught fire, there ensued a continuous series of explosions, each followed by a shower of bullets, which hurtled round the heads of the firemen.

The next convention and tournament of the Delaware County, N. Y., Firemen’s association will be held at Stamford,

No posts to display