Many Lumber Yards and Other Inflammable Establishments Surround Hammond, Ind., Plant— All Are Saved Except Plant of Origin

Fire in Big Sash and Door Factory at Hammond, Ind., which for a Time Threatened a Large Manufacturing Area Surrounding It with Destruction, and Necessitated Calling on Two Other Cities for Assistance.

A PARTICULARLY hazardous fire was that occurring in the planing mill, storage warehouse and lumber yard of the Fisher Brothers Sash and Door Company, situated in Robertdale, a suburb of Hammond, Ind., lying between that city and Whiting. The perilous nature of the blaze arose from the fact that it was situated in the midst of a lumber and other manufacturing area, with an immense amount of inflammable material nearby.

The fire was discovered at 1 :30 a. m., by some passing motorists, in the storage plant of the big concern, and at this time the flames had already broken through the roof of this structure and were fast communicating with the planing mill adjoining, besides having caught some of the large number of lumber piles in the yard.

Hammond and Whiting fire companies were soon on the scene, and East Chicago was appealed to by phone for help. This department sent one company, which did much good work, in company with the other two departments, in preventing the spread of the fire to the surrounding plants.

The Fisher establishment occupied an entire block and the fire was thought to have originated in a short circuit from crossed wires in the storage warehouse. The fire burned six hours, and completely destroyed the entire Fisher Brothers’ plant. The blaze was, however, prevented from spreading to surrounding establishments. The heat from the burning lumber was so intense that for a time the fire-fighters were greatly hampered in handling the fire and the spectators were kept a block away from the scene of action. The loss was estimated at between $200,000 and $250,000.

New Car for Beverly, Mass., Chief—A new fire chief’s car has been delivered to Beverly, Mass.

Chief Dinges of Belleville, O., Dead—Frank R. Dinges, for many years chief of the Belleville, Ohio, department, died as the result of an abscess in his lung. The abscess was aggravated as the result of his attempt last May to save several people from a burning building. He is survived by a widow, a son, a daughter, three brothers and three sisters.

No posts to display