Post-War Planning Committee Appointed
Chief Selden R. Allen, of Brookline, Mass., Chairman of the Post-War Planning Committee of the International Association of Fire Chiefs, has announced the following appointments as members of the committee; Chief James M. Duncan, Alexandria, Va.; Chief Charles E. Clark, Wayne, Pa.; Chief William Fitzgerald, Seattle, Wash.; Chief Frank W. Bonder, Saginaw, Mich.; Chief Sloan J. Flores, Shreveport. La.; Mr. George W. Booth, Chief Engineer. National Board or Fire Underwriters, New York. N. Y.; Chief Don A. Boulden. Winnipeg. Manitoba: Fire Marshal William J. Scott, Toronto, Ont.; Fire Marshal Arnold C. Renner, Michigan State Police Headquarters. East Lansing, Mich.; and Mr. George J. Richardson. Secretary-Treasurer. International Association of Fire Fighters, Washington, D. C.
The suggested objectives of the committee will be as follows:
- Additional water supply and adequate distribution.
- Additional fire stations and modernization of existing stations.
- Additional fire apparatus and replacement of outmoded pieces.
- Maintenance of companies at full strength at all times; the number of men to meet the needs of the district or area to be served, but at no time shall the minimum strength be less than standard requirements of the National Board of Fire Underwriters for pumpers, ladder trucks and other apparatus.
- Reconstruction and extension of fire alarm signal systems including erection of signal stations in locations reasonably safe from conflagrations; additional and uniform distribution of signal boxeand as far as possible, the placing of all fire alarm cables underground.
- Added protection for occupants of all existing buildings throughout the United States and Canada by the installation of proper and sufficient means of egress; the installation of sprinkler systems and automatic warning signals.
- Adequate compensation, improved living conditions, retirement privileges and adjustment of working hours for firemen.