Publishes History of Fire Department
A three page history of the Sound Beach Fire Department, Old Greenwich, Conn., extending over two issues, has been published by the Daily News-Graphic, of Greenwich, Conn. The history is illustrated with views of the Fire Department officers, equipment, and its biggest fire—the Greenwich Inn, which burned on March 8, 1928, with a total loss. The name of the village of Old Greenwich was changed to Sound Beach years ago, and it has recently been renamed. to its first nomenclature. The Fire Department still retains the title of the Sound Beach Fire Department, Inc. It is a New England volunteer department which is entirely self-supporting. Its officers are Chief Frank R. Gisborne, Assistant Chief Stuart M. Potter, Captain John Sanger, First Lieutenant John A. Hutchinson, Jr., Second Lieutenant John A. Mullin and Surgeon Albert E. Austin. Chief Gisborne, who has just been elected President of the Fairfield County hire Chiefs’ Emergency Plan, was the second Chief of the Fire Department and was elected on May 10, 1923. He joined the Sound Beach Hose Co. No. 1 on March 2, 1909, was elected Second Assistant Foreman on May 1, 1913; Captain, February, 1914, and Assistant Chief shortly after.
1 he Sound Beach Hose Co. No. 1 was organized April 29, 1904, and the first foreman was George A. Schastey, who served to October 2, 1906. G. Nelson Palmer succeeded him and served until July 6, 1909, being followed by Bertis H. Lockwood, serving to May 3, 1910; Charles H. Knapp, to May 1, 1913, and Albert F. Palmer, to February 5, 1914. On the latter date Mr. Palmer was elected Chief of the Fire Department, which had just been formed. It was incorporated March 2, 1916. Chief Gisborne was the second Chief.
G. Nelson Palmer was subsequently (April 7, 1914) elected Captain of the Sound Beach Patrol, a subsidiary organization of the department formed at that time. The present Captain of the Patrol is Edwin A. Clark.
According to the survey, in the past ten years property valued at $4,940,041.10—$3,585,153 in buildings and $1,354,888.10 in contents—has been directly imperiled by smoke and flame in the Sound Beach fire districts. In 1933 actual losses aggregated 2.09 per cent of the value of property imperilled and in 1934, only 1.04 per cent.
A remarkable fact brought out in the survey is that all of the apparatus and equipment, including the fire alarm system, has been provided by the volunteers themselves, mostly through the agency of the annual Fire Department Carnival, which has become one of the institutions of Old Greenwich. Last year 34,000 visitors paid admission at its gates. The town provides engine house quarters, the pay for two drivers and the expense incident to heating and lighting of quarters —every other expense of fire fighting is borne by the Fire Department. There are five fire apparatus and a patrol car in service in the department.
Ridley Park, Pa., has recently installed a new Mack City Service fire truck, according to information received from T. E. Lewis. Ex-Chief of the local Fire Department.
Volunteer firemen of Sea Breeze, N. Y., have opened a new two-storv stucco fire house. It was erected under the direction of the TERA.
For the third time in five months, Syosset, N. Y., defeated a plan to spend $50,000 for the construction of a new fire station.
Tests were recently conducted on a 1,250-gallon Seagrave pumper at Stamford, Conn. This is the first V-12 cylinder tvpc machine constructed by this company. Many Chiefs of Westchester County witnessed the Underwriters’ tests.