PUMPING STATION AT BUFFALO
The pumping station of the Buffalo, N. Y., waterworks is located on the bank of the Erie Canal at the foot of Massachusetts avenue, and is separated from Niagara River by the Erie Canal, 105 feet in width, and Black Rock Harbor, 85 feet in width. The building was rebuilt of brick in 1906 and 1907, is strictly fireproof, and is 640 feet in length and 102 feet in width, with the Erie Canal on one side and the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad on the other.
The south boiler house contains 16 horizontal, cylindrical, tubular boilers, each of which is 81 inches in diameter, 18 feet long, containing 172 tubes, each three inches in diameter, all equipped with McKenzie traveling grate stokers. Six with Bonson furnace. The north boiier house contains four Heine water tube boilers, each 600 horsepower, having two drums, four feet diameter, 21 feet long, with 210 tubes, each three and one-half inches in diameter and 18 feet long. These boilers are fitted with 13-foot McKenzie furnaces and are designed for 140 pounds pressure.
The water is taken from the Inlet pier, situated about the center of Niagara River, 986 feet from the pumping station and about 2 miles from Lake Erie. The water tit this point is about Hi feet in depth. I he pier is 100 feet in length and IN feet in width, and is built of cut stone. The nose was repaired during the year 1906 and rebuilt of concrete, with a steel covering one inch thick. The current in the river is from seven to 15 miles per hour, being varied by freshets and the direction and velocity of the wind. On the sides of the pier are ice shields made of steel plates one inch thick, projecting two feet from the pier and extending down to within two feet of the bottom of tile river. The lower part of the intakes in the pier is six feet above the bottom of the river, and the shields have gates opposit the intakes, that can be raised and lowered to prevent ice from entering the shafts. On the pier is a building containing a kitchen for the use of the men employed ther and a Inn horsepower steam boiler to furnish steam and hot water for melting the ice in winter. Two shafts in the pier lead to two tunnels connecting the pier with the shore wells, one of which is six feet in diameter and the other six by 12 fee: in cross section. The tunnels are parallel with each other, and are about .’In feet apart. They are built in rock and are unlined. The capacity of the two tunnels is 359,000,090 gallons per day. The wells arc extensions of the tunnels. leading to the suction of the pumps under the pumping station, and are from four and onehalf to eight feet in width and 18 feet in depth, and are lined throughout with ceni nt. During the early spring months s’ush ice fills the river to its full depth and it is only by the closest care and attention, that it can be kept from choking the pumps. The ice is kept out to some extent In the raising and lowering of the gates in the shield, and it is melted by pouring hot water and steam into it, but after that large ([uantities get through the tunnels and into the wells in the [lumping station, where it is caught on revolving screens and melted with hot water and steam. We are also troub.ed with anchor ice that will form on the gates and in the shafts on the pier. This is broken with pike poles and melted with steam and hot water, and if that is not effective, it is blasted with dynamite.
Prospect Reservoir covers the block hounded by Best, Jefferson, Dodge and Masten streets. It is 1,472 1/2 feet in length, 597½ feet in width, contains 2b and 2b-lull acres, and has a capacity of 116,212,827 gallons when filled to a depth of 2b feet. The surface of the water is then 112 feet above the level of the water of the Inlet pier and 68.i anil 26-100 feet above mean tide at New York. The site was purchased Oct. 1. 1874. Work on the reservoir was commenced in June, liW, and completed in July. 1894. The cost of the land was $79,282.00, and of the construction $557,335.79. Capacity of Jefferson street division is 64,270,477 gallons, and that of the Masten street division is 61,942.380 gallons. In June, I9H7, a contract was let for the construction of a new tunnel 12 feet in diameter and 6,661 feet in length and a new intake to he constructed in Emerald Channel at junction of Lake Erie with Niagara River, with a shore shaft located near the foot of Porter avenue, and an additional tunnel nine feet in diameter and 4,286 feet in length, extending from the shore shaft of the 12-foot tunnel to a shaft in front of the present pumping station. In July, 1999, a contract was let for a new pumping station to he erected near the short shaft of the new tunnels on the lands turned over by the park department to the bureau of water, bounded by Porter avenue. Erie Canal. Jersey street and Black Rock Harbor. Both tunnels are built through solid limestone, concrete lined throughout and are about completed. The new intake pier is built to a point 20 feet above the water line. It is circular in form, I In feet outside diameter, with an interior chamber 7o feet in diameter, the water from the lake entering through 12 ports, each six feet by six f et. contro led by gates about six feet above the bottom of the lake and 20 feet below the ordinary lake level. The intake is two concentre steel shells, one 70 feet in diameter, the other 110 feet in diameter, filled in between with concrete 20 feet thick. The shaft to the tunnel is in the center of the interior chamber, and a steel cylinder extends from the mouth of the shaft to about 15 feet above the water line, with four gates each 5 1/4 x 6 feet, to control the How of water into the tunnel. The main part of the pumping station, or engine room, is being constructed of steel and stone. The extension, or boiler room, office and shop, are each being built of brick and stone. The extensions are being roofed. The two smoke stacks, 12 feet in diameter, 250 feet high, are nearly completed. The steel work for the engine room frame is about finished and the stone walls are being erected.
The Kensington water tower was erected at the corner of Kensington avenue and Grider street in 1908, and put into commission Jan. 10, 1909. It is a steel tank 40 feet in diameter, 85 feet in height. Its ’Ease is an elevation of 109.43 feet above water at Intake Pier. It holds, when filled to a depth of 75 Let, 704,970 gallons of water. Surrounding this tank is an ornamental stone and brick tower with a clock having four dials. There are niore than 548 miles of pipe from 1 1/2 to 48 inches in diameter. We have 5,125 hydrants for fire purposes. : In winter they arc protected by a sttel cover to keep them free from snow, and give the firemen a clear place to make tlveir connections. There are 9,429 valves, in sizes from four inches to 48 inches and 75,741 connections, in sizes from one-half inch to 19 inches. A fire boat water pipe line was constructed in 1897 in Washington street, from Buffalo River to Genesee street. It is a 12-inch steel pipe. 61,120 feet in length, tested to a pressure of 200 pounds to the square inch. A hydrant and call box are placed every 250 feet, each hydrant having four 2Mi-inch nozzles with separate gates. A connection was made with this line at the corner of Washington and Exchange streets in November, 1904, and the line extended through Exchange street and the Terrace to Pearl street, and then up Pearl street to Genesee street, a distance of 3,626 feet. This addition was constructed of 12-inch cast iron pipe, and tested to a prissure of 300 pounds to the square inch. A further connection was made in October, 1906, with the Washington street fire supply line, and continued along the northerly side of Carroll street to Michigan street. The pipe is of cast iron, 12 inches in diameter, and built similar in all details to the Pearl street fire line. The total length is 1,423 lineal feet, with six special hydrants, with three-way valves and manholes on main line, and electric communication with fire boat at hydrants. The average depth of main is three and one-half feet. The grade of line descends from Washington street to Michigan street, with one drain valve at Michigan street. The pipe is of cast iron, 12 inches in diameter, and built similar in all details to the Pearl street fire line. The total length is 1,160 lineal feet, with four special hydrants. The average depth of main is three and one-half feet. The grade of line descends from Washington street to 112 feet south of Illinois street, and ascends to fire boat connection on Liberty street and Buffalo River. The fire boat connection consists of four eight-inch pipes connecting with the 12-inch main with Y’s and one-eighth bends. On end of each eight-inch pipe is a three-way Siamese connection with 3 1/2-inch opening for hose to be attached from fire boat. The pipe is not connected with the city water mains, but arranged at the Buffalo River end so that the fire tugs can connect to it and pump water from Buffalo River. The three fire tugs have a capacity of 18,000 gallons per minute. The average daily consumption in 1868 was 4,000,000 gallons, the population was 100,000, making the daily per capita consumption of 40 gallons. In the year 1909-1910, the average daily consumption was 132,758,865 gallons, the population 423,000, making the daily per capita consumption 313 gallons. The greatest amount pumped in 24 hours during the last year was on February 2-3, 1910, when the pumps registered 175,711,100 gallons, making a per capita consumption of 415 gallons. The least amount pumped in 24 hours during the last year was on November 21. 1909, when the pumps registered 99,311,300 gallons, making a per capita consumption of 235 gallons. The total amount of water pumped during the last year after allowance for.slip was 48,456,982,330 gallons, divided about one-half on the high service, with pressure at Ihe pumps of 80 pounds to the square in, and one-half on the reservoir service, with a pressure at the pumps of 50 pounds to the square inch.