Quincy, Cal., Modernises Department
When the Fire Department of Quincy, Cal., re-organized six years ago, it took over five hose carts with some hose. From that they have built a Fire De-partment with twenty men, one 350gallon pumper carrying 300 gallons of water, one forty-foot extension safety aluminum ladder, one twenty-four-foot extension ladder, one twelve-foot roof and pompier ladders. An order has been placed for a 500-gallon pumper carrying 300 gallons of water. A modern fire station has been built with a large dormitory, recreation ball and lounging room. The apparatus room has three stalls, and hose drying rack with a capacity of eight hundred feet of hose.
Many Have First Aid Cards
in the First Aid Division, there are seventeen men holding Red Cross First Aid cards and four men holding instructor’s cards. A resuscitator with stretchers and complete first-aid equipment have been purchased. An ambulance was purchased in 1938, and ambulance calls have been coming in from Reno, Nev., to San Francisco, averaging over 1,000 miles a month on ambulance calls alone. A charge of ten cents a mile is made for the use of the ambulance in order to cover the cost of operation and to take care of depreciation. All of the equipment in the first aid line was purchased by celebrations, public subscription, shows, dances, and hard work.