Railroad Station Destroyed by Fire
The Princeton junction, New Jersey, station of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, a site familiar to generations of Princeton University students and graduates, was destroyed by fire during the early morning hours of December 27th, 1953.
The fire is believed to have been caused by mice chewing on the electrical wiring, the cause of a minor fire at the station a few years ago. The caretaker, Virginia Worrilow, 62 years of age, was rescued from a second story porch where she fled after being awakened by the crackling flames. Her pet dog perished in the flames that destroyed the two story frame building.
The station is on the main line of the railroad and is at a point where passengers for Princeton and the University change, for the five mile trip to Princeton.