Rats Gnawing Matches Cause Grocery Fire in Sorel

Rats Gnawing Matches Cause Grocery Fire in Sorel

It is believed that rats gnawing matches caused the fire which recently destroyed the S. P. Paul grocery building in the commercial section of Sorel, Que., Canada. The building, 50 years old, was three stories high and constructed of brick with some wood walls. It is not known at what time the fire started. The fire department, which is commanded by Chief A. Guay, received an alarm at 4.20 a. m., and then flames were coming through the first and second stories. Chief Guay had fifteen firemen and all the apparatus in service. Three hydrants were available and three hydrant and two engine streams were directed on the blaze, water being obtained from a 4-inch main. Chief Guay extinguished the fire in two hours, skillfully stopping it at the adjoining property. The building contained groceries, a restaurant and a barber shop. The losses were $19,000 on building, $10,000 on contents. The fire started in the back of the grocery store.

The new fire station No. 2, at Little Rock, Ark., has been completed and new fire truck installed.

Previous articleJoplin Water Works Company
Next articleCONVENTION DATES

No posts to display