The voluntary retirement of Major Edward Hughes as chief of the fire department of Louisville, Ky., while, perhaps, not wholly unexpected, came on December 31, as a surprise to the citizens generally. Mayor Hughes entered the volunteer department as a boy of nineteen years of age, when he joined Union No. 2, of which he was at once elected chief director. In 1858, when the paid department was organised, he became a pipeman in Eclipse company No. 1, at a salary of $400 a year Previously to that the city had tried unsuccessfully two steam fire engines, the third, a Latta, built in Cincinnati in 1857, standing the test. Up to 1858 there were eight volunteer companies of too men each with big hand engines, that called for thirty men at the handles. As was usually the case all over the United States at that time, there was no chief of the department and scenes of disorder occurred at every fire, each company striving to be first at every blaze—Edward Hughes being one of those volunteers who would have gone without sleep or meals to get there ahead of all others. When the paid fire department was established, he also took a prominent part in politics, and before the board of safety was established was in sole command of the department. But he never let politics rule in his treatment of the firemen, and none was ever favored or dismissed on that account. Hence, he was always beloved by his subordination. Mayor Hughes himself, however, was the victim of politics and in 1878-1879 was out of the department because of his views in political matters. In 1870 he returned to it as chief—an office which he has held ever since, having been tngineer of Watkins Engine company No. 5 up to that time.

Major Hughes was a born fireman and, as such, during twenty-two years as chief of the department, has been of inestimable value to his native city,whose citizens, from the mayor downwards, hold him in the highest regard and esteem—feelings in which not only every member of the department participate, but also all fire chiefs throughout the United States. In the ranks of the International Association of Fire Engineers he is a great favorite, and though he has not been unwilling to be one of its vicepresidents, he would never consent to fill the office of president. He has been a regular attendant at all tne conventions of that body, and today is its first vicepresident. He will not, of course, sever his connection with the organisation, which can never forget the courtesy and attention paid it by Chief Hugnes on the occasion of its annual convention being held at Louisville. Major Hughes will be greatly missed by the board of safety, and will carry with him into his well-earned retirement the best wishes of all with whom he has come in contact during his long term of office. In these good wishes FIRE AND WATER ENGINEERING most heartily joins.


It is understood Assistant Chief Filmore Tyson, will be appointed his successor, in accordance with the expressed wish and recommendation of Major Hughes. The new chief, who is a native of Louisville, joined the department as driver in January 1886, being then twenty-nine years of age He became captain of No. 3 company in August 1888, and from 1891 to 1892 was with the fire alarm telegraph. In October, 1892 he was again made captain of No. 3, and on January t, 1893, promoted to be assistant chief. He has long been regarded as one of the very best fire captains in the service, and has made a fine record as assistant chief. He is young, active and fearless, and very popular with his associates and subordinates. His promotion comes on account of merit alone.

Previous articleFE Volume 33 Issue 27

No posts to display