Rosedale Business Block Wiped Out
Fire, originating in a hot-box ventilation fan, effected a total loss to the business block located in the center of Rosedale, Kan., a short time ago. The square block, a two-story, brick structure was occupied ty a grocery, dry goods store, printing office, dwelling rooms, and bakery. It was in the latter that the fire was discovered, in the northeast corner at 1.35 a. in., by an employee who telephoned the alarm. When Chief James Byors arrived he found that the fire had made great headway, and was, in fact, beyond control. With thirty firemen engaged quick action followed, and soon six good hydrant streams were obtained. Six hydrants set 200 feet apart were available with pressure at hydrants of 70 pounds. An eight-inch main ran through the street in front of the building, while 3,500 feet of hose were laid and 154-inch tips used. The loss on the property amounted to $157,770. The streams were furnished by direct pumping. Besides the business firms whose stocks were destroyed, there were housed in the building machinery, wagons and automobiles, which also were lost. One man was burned about the face. Due to the effective work of the department the losses from sparks igniting adjacent property were very small.