Salem, Ore., Has Full Paid Department
The Salem, Ore., fire department is now a full paid organization under the two-platoon system. Chief Harry Hutton of the department writes that the city recently purchased an American-LaFrance one-thousand gallon triple combination pumper and added six more men to the forces. In Chief Hutton’s annual report to the common council of the city, he shows that the loss on buildings for the year 1922 was $18,746.43 and on contents $43,950.00. The department responded to 142 alarms, travelled 239 miles, laid 14,450 feet of 292-inch hose, raised 634 feet of ladders, and used 794 gallons of chemicals. The apparatus of the department consists beside the new car, of one motor pumper and two chemical and hose cars. It has 4,900 feet of 2 1/2 inch and 200 feet of l 1/2-inch cotton rubber lined hose and 300 feet of 3/4-inch chemical hose.