Schenectady Civil Service Examination.
The following questions were set by the municipal civil service commission of Schenectady, N. Y., to be answered by candidates for promotion to the position of engineer of steamer in that city’s fire department.
- State your length of service in the paid fire department of the city of Schenectady, and your present position in the department. 10%
- What are the duties of an engineer ? 10%
- Name the capacity of steamer No. 1, also of the new gasoline fire engine. 10%
- In case of the absence of the captain wdiat authority does the engineer assume? 10%
- State how you would lay a fire in an engine ready for starting; also, how you would start and keep up a good lire in an engine while in use. 10%.
- Flow would you locate water in your boiler if the glass were full ? 10%
- What part of an engine requires the most attention when in service? 10%
- If. in answering an alarm for a fire, you found the only available hydrant obstructed by an excavation, so that you could get no nearer than 30 or 40 ft. from it, how would you proceed to connect to get an effective stream on? 10%
- What is the cause of burning out of the flues in a fire engine; how can it he prevented ? 10%
- State what qualifications you think you possess to fit you for the position of engineer of steamer in the fire department of this city. 10%
For promotion to the position of house-captain in the same department the following questions were to be answered :
- State your length of service in the paid fire department of the city of Schenectady and your present position in the department. 10%
- Name and locate each hose company and state how a hose company is officered and manned. 10%
- (a) How would you handle a fire in the fifth story of the Parker building? (b) How would you handle a fire on the ground floor of the same building? (c) Distinguish between the two plans 10%
- What are a captain’s duties:—(a) at an ordinary fire; (b) at the firehouse under ordinary conditions? 10%
- State if you have ever been up before the chief or the commissioner on any charge or complaint. Be particular regarding the details, as an accurate record of each fireman is kept by the department. 10%
- As captain in charge of a firehouse, formulate charges to the commissioner or chief against a man under yon who failed to report until two hours after his dinner had expired, and who returned sufficiently under the influence of liquor to be incapacitated for work. 10%
- If you should he instructed to place an engine at a large fire what is the first thing you would take into consideration? 10%
- In case of fire at lx 551. corner State and Clinton streets, what companies would respond to a first alarm; what to a second; what to a third? 10%
- State what qualifications you think you possess to lit you for the position of house-captain in the fire department of this city. 10%
Appearance of paper to count to%.