SERIOUS FIRE AT BAY CITY.
A fire, whose origin cannot be accounted for, took place on the evening of August 22 in the basement of C. D. Vaile & Co.’s store in the Fraser block, Bay City, Mich. The work of the fire department under Chief Harding was considerably hampered from two causes—the dense volumes of smoke which were thrown off and the difficulty of getting at the seat of the fire till the heavy gratings in front of the basement had been broken out, so as to admit of ladders being lowered and a stream being thrown in by means of a cellar pipe. When that was done, and another stream had been thrown through the Water street window, the fire was soon drowned out. To effect the latter object, however, several thicknesses of boards had to he cut through before the work could he done. After the firemen had gone into the basement, thev encountered a fresh difficulty in the way of stifling fumes, which escaped from a broken or melted gas pipe, and. mingling with the smoke, overcame several of the firemen, three of whom, (ieorge IF. Thompson, captain of hose company No. 1—the hero of many fights with fire, who was knocked out for the first time in his life Ed. Reinecke. one of his hosemen, and Henry Starker, driver of the company, were taken hack to headquarters altogether disabled. T he loss by tire, water and smoke was over $75,000, with an insurance of $20,000.