Seven Fire Departments Join in Fight on Inn Fire

Seven Fire Departments Join in Fight on Inn Fire

Waverly Inn, at Cheshire, Conn., one of the best known eating places in Connecticut, was destroyed by fire of undetermined origin on Feb. 11. Fire Chief Warren E. Hall estimated the loss at more than $100,000.

Driven by strong wind, flames raced so quickly through the sprawling story-and-a-half structure that Cheshire volunteer firemen and those from six neighboring communities had no chance to save it. They devoted their efforts to preventing spread to nearby buildings.

Several firemen were overcome by dense clouds of smoke hanging over the doomed landmark and one, John Mayo, of the Southington Fire Department, was taken to St. Mary’s Hospital in Waterbury with injuries.

The felled firemen were revived by oxygen equipment, rushed to the scene in a State Police Department ambulance.

The blaze was discovered shortly after 11:30 P.M., when employes of the inn saw smoke pouring from a ventilator in the rear of the building. The Cheshire Volunteer Fire Company answered an alarm but found the entire building ablaze, Chief Hall said.

Chief Hall said that with the exception of the blaze that destroyed most of the Cheshire Academy some years ago, the Waverly Inn fire was the largest and most costly in Cheshire’s history.

No posts to display