Shocked by Fire Hose

Shocked by Fire Hose

Crossed electric light wires in a transforming box started a lively blaze in the basement under the pawnbroker’s shop of J. Simpson & Co., at Broadway and Forty-sixth street. The hosemen who groped their way through the smoke-filled cellar turned the hose on the transformer box, which was under the Forty-sixth street sidewalk, and from which flames were shooting ceilingward, but to no purpose, for the crossed wires continued to blaze, while the water became charged with electricity, and as most of the firemen had not stopped to put on their rubber boots they were forced to step lively and retreat from the charged water. With quick axe blows they smashed in the glass covered grating sunk in the sidewalk, directly over the burning transformer box, and then waited until employes of the illuminating company cut the offending wires.

No posts to display