SING SING WATER WORKS.

SING SING WATER WORKS.

SING SING, N. Y., has a water works system constructed between 1887 and 1889 at a cost of $200,000. The source of the water is Indian brook, a stream which,with its tributary brooks, has a watershed of about three square miles and an average daily yield of about 204,420 gallons a square mile. It flows through a sparsely inhabited section of the country, from three to five miles north of the village. A dam built across Indian brook at a short distance east of the old Croton aqueduct forms an impounding reservoir 1,800 feet long by 400 feet wide, with a depth of 17 feet. Its capacity is 100,000,000 gallons, the amount of ground included in the flowline being about 18 acres. The pumping engines are on Croton bay, about 3,000 feet distant,the water being fed to these engines by a 16-inch gravity main, and pumped into the intermediate reservoir of 100,000,000 gallons capacity on the Pieasantville road, about three miles south, at an elevation of 327 feet above tide-water. The Loretz pumping engine at the Croton bay station,specially designed for the service, has a capacity of over 200,000 gallons per twenty-four hours. That at the high service station on North Malcolm street is operated entirely by water pumped at the Croton biy station while passing through the mains to supply the lower district. The pressure in the mains in the station is 90 pounds, and out of the entire amount of water passing through the mains 80 per cent, operates the engines, the remaining 20 per cent, being raised by the pumps of the engines to the high service reservoir against a pressure of 145 pounds.

CROTON BAY PUMPING STATION, SING SING, N. Y.

The general distribution of the system is divided into high, intermediate, and low service, the result being that—although some houses and streets in the village are more than 300 feet above the level of the Hudson, a moderate pressure (from 35 to 120 pounds) is maintained throughout for house and fire service. For the latter there are over 100 hydrants (R. D. Wood), so set that the static head is about 200 feet—in some cases much greater. There are 14 miles of mains 16-inch to 4 inch (R. D. Wood, Gloucester); 475 meters (Thomas, Crown, and Trident), and nearly 80 valves. The whole system was planned by. and constructed under the direction of Charles Wright, assisted by J. W. Kittrell, and is owned by the village. The board of water commissioners consists of five members as follows: Isaac Secor (president); Franklin Brandreth (treasurer);Stephen M.Sherwood (secretary);Gilbert M. Todd, and John E. Johnson. The original board, constituted in 1884 by an act of the legislature, consisted by John P. Truesdell, Stephen M. Sherwood, Isaac B. Noxon, Franklin Brandreth, and Isaac Secor. The superintendent is S. G. Ellegood, and the annual cost of maintaining the works is about $4,000.

The water is wholesome and plentiful, and no water famine need be feared in Sing Sing, since besides the Indian brook the village has certain rights to the waters of the Croton river, and the city of New York has guaranteed to the village a supply of water from the Quaker Bridge dam when completed: the supply thus to be furnished not to exceed 2,000,000 gallons in each twenty-four hours, for which the village agrees to pay five cents per hundred cubic feet. The Croton water right is maintained only in case the Indian brook supply should fail; but so far the supply from that source has been ample for a village many times larger than Sing Sing.

The accompanying illustrations, which appeared in the New York Tribune,sribune the Indian brook reservoir; the high service pumping station, and the Croton bay pumping station.

INDIAN BROOK RESERVOIR, SING SING, N. Y.HIGH SERVICE PUMPING STATION, SING SING, N. Y.

No posts to display