Small Fire Loss in Conneaut
The city of Conneaut, Ohio, according to the annual report of Chief T. J. Gough of the fire department, just issued, closed the year 1922 with the low fire loss of $4,615. This is against $11,800 for the previous year. The total number of fire alarms and calls responded to by the department for 1922 was 110. Thirty were from boxes, 69 by phone, eight verbal, two pulmotor calls and three false alarms. On onlysix of the fires was it necessary to use water and the total amount of 292-inch fire hose used was 4,750 feet. Of the other fires 88 were extinguished with chemicals, 700 feet of J^-inch chemical hose and 546 gallons of chemicals were used in their extinguishment.
The expenses for the upkeep of the pumper amounted to $72 for the entire year which includes gasoline, lubricating oil and grease. Besides the pumper, at fire headquarters, the city has one horsedrawn hook and ladder truck at the city tool shed and one hose cart at the Harbor Fire Station. Chief Gough recommends the purchase of a motor driven city service hook and ladder truck in the near future to take the place of the old horse-drawn ladder truck referred to, as the latter is in rather bad shape. The salaries paid the officers and members of the fire department for the year amounted to $9,797 and salaries paid the minute men for working during vacations and sickness for the regular firemen and extra work for the year amounted to $607.75. The regular firemen received 14 days annual vacation with full pay and two days off each month on full pay. The day shift work from 7 A. M. to 6 P. M. and the night shift from 6 P. M. to 7 A. M. and are allowed to go to bed at any time after 9 P. M. and arise at 6 A. M. The men alternate from day shift to night shift every two weeks.
Three hundred and forty feet of ladders were raised and the motor triple combination pumper travelled 165 miles in responding to fire alarms and other work during the year. None of the firemen w’as injured and there were no accidents of any kind to men or apparatus. The inspections of the business section and other parts of the city number 150 and were made by George P. Butler of the Youngstown office with the assistance of Inspector W. B. Riegel of the fire marshal’s office of Columbus.