Sparks and Inflammable Roof Cause Fire

Sparks and Inflammable Roof Cause Fire

The repair shop of the Cincinnati Abattoir Company, situated in the extreme northeast section of Norwood, Ohio, caught fire at 5:57 P. M. on August 24, probably from a spark from burning rubbish lighting on the roof. When the department, numbering twenty men, arrived under command of Chief Joseph A. Geller, the fire had attained great headway and the roof had fallen in. The apparatus in service consisted of one Ahrens-Fox 750-gallon pumper, one Ahrens-Fox steamer of 600-gallon capacity, and one American-LaFrance 750-gallon pumper. There were two 4-inch double hydrants available spaced about 500 feet apart, with a pressure of 90 pounds at the hydrant. Four engine streams were thrown, with nozzles of 1 1/8 inches with a dead end water main of four inches. Approximately 2,000 feet of hose were laid. Owing to the isolated situation of the building and the insufficient pressure the department was very badly hampered in fighting the fire, which burned for thirty-six hours. The value of the building and contents, the latter consisting of refrigerators, railroad cars, stock and machinery, was reckoned at $89,283.40. The loss was $87,370.27.

Previous articleCARELESSNESS RESPONSIBLE FOR DEATHS BY FIRE
Next articleCONVENTION DATES

No posts to display