Spasso House, Moscow, Damaged by Fire

Spasso House, Moscow, Damaged by Fire

Fire on June 14 damaged the stately dining room at Spasso House, home of U. S. Ambassador Charles E. Bohlen, while Mrs. Mesta, former envoy to Luxembourg, slept one flight above.

The blaze, believed caused by a shortcircuited power line just after an electrical storm in Moscow, caused several thousand dollars damage. No one was injured.

The fire broke out on the first floor after Ambassador and Mrs. Bohlen and their guest, Mrs. Mesta, had retired. It was discovered by the Bohlens’ nurse and a Chinese servant. The fact that the fire was confined to the one room was credited to the presence of many fire extinguishers in the house.

No posts to display