Spontaneous Combustion Destroys Business

Spontaneous Combustion Destroys Business

Spontaneous combustion was the cause of the destruction of the Mercer Block building in 104th Street and 104th Avenue in Edmonton, Alta. The alarm was received by phone at 6:14 A. M., according to an account from Chief R. Davies, and on the arrival of the fire department the fire was found to be coming through the roof. There were thirty-one fireman present with three American-LaFrance pumpers. Three 4-inch hydrants were available, spaced about 650 feet apart, with a pressure of 35 pounds at the hydrant. Five engine streams were employed, with nozzles of and 1 1/4 inches. About 4,800 feet of hose were laid and turret nozzles were also brought into service. The building, which was four stories in height, constructed of brick, valued at $25,000, was practically destroyed as were also the contents, paints, oils and fruits, valued at $68,000.

No posts to display