Spool Manufactory Destroyed in Greenville
A frame building occupied by the Shamvow Spool Company at Greenville, S. C., according to a report from Chief F. E. Donnald, of the fire department, caught fire on August 28th and by the time the fire department arrived with twenty-two men, in answer to a phone call at 3:10 P. M., the entire building was burning. Chief Donnald devoted his attention to saving the surrounding structures, which he succeeded in doing after two hours of hard work. The fire originated in the shavings room from sparks from the machinery. The apparatus of the fire department consisted of two American-LaFrance and one Ahrens-Fox pumpers and one White Service truck. The loss which was originally given at $100,000 amounted to a total of $30,000; $6,000 being on the building and $24,000 on the contents, consisting of wood for making spools and machinery.