J. Michael Stallings, CFO, Division Chief of the City of Rocky Mount (NC) Fire Department was honored by receiving the Ronny Jack Coleman Leadership Legacy Award during the Center for Public Safety Excellence’s annual awards ceremony held during Fire‐Rescue International in Atlanta,Georgia.
Chief Stallings has more than 29 years of Fire Service experience, including over 14 years as a Chief Officer. His specific accomplishments which led to his nomination and selection for the Ronny Jack Coleman Leadership Legacy Award includes:
- Successfully leading his department through their first re‐accreditation in 2008 and is guiding
them toward their second re‐accreditation in 2013.
- Currently serving as a mentor in the Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI)
mentorship program. Mike is also a Level 1 Peer Assessor and has participated in four site visits.
- He organized the North Carolina Accreditation Support Consortium which has grown to
participation by 26 agencies in the state.
- Through his involvement with the consortium, he has assisted six agencies in the state in their quest to achieve accredited status.
- Mike serves as the state coordinator for the proposed US Accreditation Support Consortium.
Chief Stallings has earned a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Public Safety Administration from Grand Canyon University and an Associate’s in Fire Protection Technology from Wilson Technical Community College. He received the Chief Fire Officer (CFO) designation in 2009 and is a graduate of the Executive Fire Officer Program through the National Fire Academy.
The Ronny Jack Coleman Leadership Legacy Award recognizes an individual from an accredited agency or the Chief Officer Designation echelon for superior leadership and actions that have elevated the International Fire and Emergency Service (IFES) profession through mentoring, teaching and sharing outstanding contributions; and who has exhibited the consistent dedication of renewal qualities and commitment to fire service professionalism by demonstrating a devotion to help raise the Internationa Fire and Emergency Service to greater heights.