STATIC ELECTRICITY IGNITES BENZINE VAPOR.

STATIC ELECTRICITY IGNITES BENZINE VAPOR.

A most unusual case, and one which shows the ever-present danger when handling highly volatile and inflammable fluids is reported in the fire report of the electrical bureau of the National Board of Fire Underwriters for the quarter ending July 10, 1903. A workman who was pouring benzine out of a can came in contact with a belt transmitting power to the upper floor. When he set down the can, there was a static discharge from his fingers to the can, which ignited the benzine. The can was overturned and the burning benzine flowed over the floor and down the elevator shaft. The building was entirely destroyed with an estimated loss of $189,190.

Wayne, Neb., is sinking wells for additional water supply.

No posts to display