Stove Factory Damaged at Albany
Chief W. W. Bridgeford, of Albany, N. Y., handled very efficiently a difficult fire that recently took place in one of the buildings of the Rathbone, Lard & Company’s stove plant in Albany, N. Y. The plant consists of a number of buildings. The fire took place in a five-story brick structure occupying a space 100 by 200 feet. The woodwork throughout the building was of yellow pine, and two open elevator wells and open stair wells served to give fuel to the flames and carry the fire. The fire started in the basement and there was suspicion of incendiarism. The watchman discovered the fire about midnight and gave the alarm, but the fire had already gained such headway that although the building is around the corner from Engine No. 3, the firemen found the whole basement and first floor a mass of flames. Chief Bridgeford ordered a second alarm and followed it closely with a general alarm which brought the entire department. The time between the first and general alarms was not more than ten minutes and during this time the fire was through the roof. The apparatus in service was three ladder companies, four American-La France steamers and five Amoskeag engines. The heat was intense but nevertheless Chief Bridgeford placed eighteen streams, twelve of which were engine streams, on the fire. Plenty of hydrants, each about 200 or 300 feet apart, with a pressure of 85 to 95 pounds, were available and furnished good plug streams. Eight thousand feet of cotton rubber-lined hose was in service and several lengths were destroyed under fallen walls. An Eastman Deluge Set was used. The cornice and pent house on the roof of a brewery building on the opposite side of the street took fire but it was quickly extinguished by the skilful work of the department. Chief Bridgeford succeeded in preventing the fire from spreading and kept the loss down to around $50,000. The contents were stoves. The burned building was connected with machine and moulding shops by an enclosed bridge and the firemen prevented the fire from crossing this bridge.