Sulphur Fumes Give Firemen Trouble in Galveston

Sulphur Fumes Give Firemen Trouble in Galveston

Wharf, Buildings and Steamships Burned in Million Dollar Blaze in Southern City—New Rochelle Men Save Lives in Early Morning Fire—Record of Week

Lives Saved by New Rochelle Department

Chief Walter Jones, New Rochelle, N. Y.

A fire which might have resulted in great loss of life, but for the prompt action of the fire department occurred in New Rochelle, N. Y., when a five-story apartment

house at 19-25 Rose Street caught fire from an unknown cause at 1:23 a. m. The structure, which was of brick and which had been built about seventeen years, occupied a space of 80×110 feet, there being fire escapes on rear and sides of the building. As is usual in the case of residential fires occurring at such an early hour, with the occupants heavy with sleep, there was great danger of many becoming bewildered and lost in the halls and passageways of the building, especially

as when the department arrived the fire was raging up the stairways and the dumbwaiter shafts. This fire was the largest that Chief Walter Jones has had to contend with since his appointment some months ago, he being a deputy chief of the New York fire department at that time. The chief arrived upon the scene of the fire in about forty-five seconds, while the alarm was still ringing, and at that time the windows and fire escapes were crowded with men and women, screaming and pleading for help. The fire originated in the cellar of the building and passed up the stairwells and dumbwaiter shafts and mushroomed on the top floor, thus cutting off the escape of all occupants by the way of the stairs. The department immediately devoted its energies to bring the people down, the ladders being thrown up in quick order, and every person in the building was rescued, there being no casualties whatever. There were one hundred firemen present, and the apparatus consisted on one steamer, four motor pumpers, one aerial truck, one city service truck and two hose wagons. There were eight 4-inch, 3-way hydrants, they being spaced about five hundred feet apart, with a water pressure of twenty-two pounds, the mains being respectively 10, 8 and 4 inches. There were ten engine streams thrown, the size of nozzles being 1inches. The aerial truck was also operated as a water tower and greatly assisted in fighting the fire. There was sufficient water to operate all engine streams, the system being gravity. There were several small stores, a grocery, tailor and shoe store, on the first floor of the building. The value of the building involved was $75,000, and the loss on it was about $60,000. The value of the contents is estimated at $35,000, with a $30,000 loss. The fire was confined to the building in which it originated.

No posts to display