Supply Men at the Fair.
(From Our Regular Correspondent.)
The scheme for a World’s Fair exhibit by manufacturers of fire apparatus, as outlined by Secretary Hills of the National Association, is as follows: Permission for the erection of a building was granted by the exposition management, provided the manufacturers put up a structure to cost not less than $20,000. To this end a circular letter was prepared by Mr. Hills and sent to all fire supply manufacturers throughout the country soliciting subscriptions. Thus far pledges have been received from the following: Eureka Fire Hose Company, $500; Gleason & Bailey Company, $500; a firm of badge makers at Trenton, $50, and possibly R. D. Wood & Co., $500, making a total of $1550. The manufacturers not coming forward as was expected the idea of a separate building was abandoned and negotiations were opened with the Berlin Iron Bridge Company of East Berlin, Conn., which concern intends erecting a small building to show their iron girders, etc. The building itself being their exhibit, they would not occupy any floor space. The bridge company submitted the following proposition to the manufacturers: They will erect a much larger building than they had intended, same to cover 19,200 scpiare feet, the dimensions being 100×192, and to cost $25,000. Of this amount the bridge company will contribute $10,000 and the manufacturers the additional $15,000. At the end of the fair period the building is to belong to the bridge company. In other words, the fire apparatus manufacturers are taxed $15,000 for the privilege of exhibiting their wares for six months. Mr. Hills will address a second letter to the manufacturers submitting the proposition of the bridge company at once, and ask that the parties interested give the matter early attention.
The meeting of delegates of the State associations regarding a tournament is being held to-day. Delegates are present from New York, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, Kansas, Nebraska, Virginia, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Vermont.
After considerable discussion it was resolved to hold an international firemen’s tournament during firemen’s week in September, provided that a guarantee fund of not less than $7500 be raised, secured or guaranteed by May 1, 1893, and that the matter of raising this guarantee fund be referred to a special committee consisting of L. W. Clark, T. E. Smith, Jr., of Chicago, and H. A. Hills, to report May 1 to the permanent officers of the organization. An executive committee was also appointed, consisting of the permanent chairman and secretary and three members, for the purpose of drafting rules and regulations for the government of the tournament, also the distribution of the prizes. The following were elected permanent officers: H. A. Hills, president; L. W. Clark, secretary, and D. J. Swenie, treasurer. The executive committee is composed of Messrs. Corcoran of Nebraska and Clegg and Smith of Illinois. It is proposed to hold the exercises on the parade ground at Washington Park which it is understood can be secured. Costly prizes valued at $5000 will be offered. To offset this an entrance fee of either 25 or 50 cents will be charged for admission to the grounds.
[The scheme to raise $15,000 or $10,000, or any amount of money for an exhibition of the manufactures of fire and water apparatus at the World’s Fair would be a profitless and a useless expenditure of money. We do not learn that any number of manufacturers are interested in the project, which appears to have originated in the mind of some man whose idea of fire-fighting consists of wearing a red shirt, covered with tin shields and ribbon badges. The day of the poppycock fire laddie is in the remote hence. The wonderful accomplishments in the field of fire and water supplies require no tinsel and tinfoil and brass bands of a World’s FAIR.-ED.]
Chief Engineer John Brierly of the Pawtucket (R. I.) Eire Department has brought us into posession of the “ Annual Report of the Chief Engineer of the Fire Department.” We thank him for the same. The report contains very detailed statements as to the condition of the department. The force consists of sixty men. The apparatus consists of three steamers, one two-horse four-wheeled hose carriage, one single hose carriage, three chemical engines, two two-horse trucks, one Warwick aerial ladder truck, a life net and five supply wagons. There is a sufficient supply of hose. Additional hydrants have been put up, now making the number 469. I he department answered 87 alarms during 1892. Chief Brierly recommends the appropriation of $26,000 for the running expenses, and a small sum for sundry extensions and improvements. Also the addition of seven men to the per manent force.