The “7-7 Club”
A progressive “Buffs” organization is the “7-7 Club” of Brooklyn, N. Y. It has twenty-three members, most of whom are fire buffs of long standing. The Club was formed in July, 1945, its members being drawn from membership rolls of the N. Y. F. D. Emergency Auxiliary Corps of the 10th Division. The name of the Club is appropriately taken from the department’s preliminary notification signal for the Borough of Brooklyn, which is “7-7.”
The Club Constitution and By-Laws set forth three objectives: (1) to take an active part in fire prevention, (2) to render aid and assistance to the members of the New York Fire Department, whenever and wherever called upon] without thought of compensation, and (3) to maintain an interest in things “firemanic.”
The Club rooms are located next door to Engine Company 269 in Union Street, Brooklyn, and are very much like the inside of a firehouse, being equipped with housewatch desk and chair, primary alarm bell, installed by the Fire Alarm Telegraph Bureau (on Engine 269’s circuit); a blackboard for recording alarms received and a housewatch journal in which are entered pertinent data pertaining to alarms and other fire department information. A replica of the running board of Engine 269 listing its “first due stations” (boxes) is located on the wall.
The members of the Club respond to nearly all multiple alarms in any of the five Boroughs. One enterprising “7-7 clubber” hustled to Philadelphia recently to be in on a major fire in that city. Others responded to a general alarrrt blaze in distant Trenton, N. J.
The present officers are; J. Halstead Brown, president; Edgard W. Johnson, vice-president; George F. Holder, treasurer, and Edward W. McKenna, secretary.