The Ammonia Tank Again
Several members of the Chicago fire department were recently threatened with a repetition of the fire of Dec. 22, 1911, at the Morris Company’s plant, when Chief Horan and 20 of his men lost their lives. On this occasion the blaze was in beefhouse No. 2 of Armour & Co., at Forty-fourth street and Packers avenue. The fire took place early in the morning and started on the fourth floor of the building. The flames made such rapid headway as to call for a 4-11 alarm, to which thief Scyferlich responded. The firemen were in constant danger because of the ammonia tanks, and special calls were sent in for fire companies to protect adjoining and opposite property, one building being that of the Morris Company, which directly fronted that on which the department was working. One ammonia tank exploded ami caused possibly fatal injuries to Captain George T. Foley, of Engine Company No. 85; a broken leg to a fireman, and minor hurts to about a score of firemen who were operating on the top floor when the explosion took place. Captain Foley was standing on a ladder directing the work of his men when the force of the explosion blew him off the ladder. He fell four stories to the street and received probably fatal injuries. A pipeman also had his leg broken. The blaze was confined to the place of origin. The building was practically destroyed and the loss was very heavy.