THE BROOKLYN SALVAGE CORPS.
According to the report of the salvage corps of the boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, New York, for the year 1900, the total number of fire alarms sent out in the two boroughs was 1,802. Of these 1,087 were in the district protected and were attended by the corps. The loss on buildings was, $452,099.56; the insurance, $7,616,759.88: loss on contents, $633,866.26; insurance, $3,208,226.68. Last year the loss on buildings was, $563,646.49, with an insurance of $8,771,351.77; on contents,$577.655.66,with au insurance of $3,965,278.08. During 1900 there were eighteen fires, at which the loss exceeded $10,000. The worst were at E. C. Smith & Co., and others on Paidge avenue, where the loss was $148,837.58, and at C. H. Reynolds & Co., and others, where the loss was $121,903.49. The salvage corps has been organized since 1895, and is under the command of Captain John J. Cashman, jr., who, up to 1895, when he was sent to organize the salvage corps of which he is at present the efficient head, had been a member of the New York fire patrol and for two years clerk to the late Supt. Hull, aud afterwards lieutenant assigned to fire patrol No. 5. Capt. Cashman’s headquarters are at Station No. 1, 17 Pacific street, Brooklyn, (Western district), where there is a fully equipped company. James L. Burnett, also formerly of the New York fire patrol, is in command of Station No. 2 (Eastern district) 33 Stagg street,Brooklyn. The directors of the corps are as follows: Geo. M. Coit, president; Lindley Murray, jr., vice president; Britton C. Thorn, secretary; Wm. T. Lane, treasurer; B. G. Ackerman; Geo. W. Burebell; Frank T. Stinson; Edward E. Pearce; John A. DeGroot; Edward B. Vanderveer; John S. Oliver; Curtis C. Wayland, T. A. Ralston; Alfred Hodges.