The Central States Water Works Association
The Central States Water Works Association, which holds its nineteenth annual convention in Cincinnati, O., on May 10-14, 1915, dates back to 1897. Late in that year an organization was discussed by a number of water works men, including C. W. Wiles, superintendent at Delaware, O., and a letter dated November 23 was issued and received generous responses. This letter was followed by another calling a meeting of all water works superintendents, presidents, secretaries, water works committees, boards of trustees, engineers and others interested in the maintenance of water works in the State of Ohio, to be held at Columbus, O., on February 17, 1898. The letter stated the purpose to be “organization of a society of Ohio for the benefit, education and improvement of its members in all things pertaining to the management and maintenance of water works.” This letter was signed by: C. W. Wiles, superintendent, Delaware, O.; J. O’Shaughnessy, superintendent, Columbus, O.; T. R. Cook, superintendent, Toledo; O. L. Hayes, president, Galion; A. W. Inman, superintendent, Massillon; John Fisher, secretary, Hamilton; F. C. Smith, superintendent, Washington C. H.; G. F. Cooper, superintendent, Xenia; W. A. Veach, receiver, Newark, O.: J. P. Malloy, superintendent, Sidney; Geo. Cotter, superintendent, Springfield; J. A. Bradner, superintendent, Fostoria; Geo. M. McPeck. secretary, Marysville; and C. W. Koons. superintendent, Mt. Vernon. The meeting was called to order, at the Great Southern Hotel, by J. O’Shauglinessy, and a roll call showed forty-seven present. At this meeting the Central States Water Works Association was organized, it being decided upon the suggestion of W. P. Sharp, chief engineer of the Cincinnati Water Works, not to make the society an Ohio organization, but one to include Ohio, Illinois, Indiana. Kentucky, Michigan, Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The name adopted was suggested by Mr. Wiles. Mr. O’Shaughnessy was the temporary chairman, and John Fisher, temporary secretary. By-laws were adopted and Mr. O’Shaughnessy was elected president, with C. W. Wiles as fire vice-president; J. P. Malloy, second vice-president; C. W. Koons, third vicepresident; A. W. Inman, fourth vice-president; John Fisher, secretary: Charles E. Rowe, treasurer. Mayor Samuel L. Black delivered an address of welcome to the water works men, and Professor John W. Hill, of Cincinnati, made an address. There was a question box, followed by discussion, and the program also included the reading of papers. The local committee of Columbus provided recreation. The delegates also by invitation attended a lecture by Professor Hill in the chapel of the Ohio State University on “Sources of Pure Water Supply.” On one evening the members joined with the delegates to the mayors’ and councilmen’s convention at a banquet tendered by citizens of Columbus. The association met next in September of the same year in Springfield, O. At this 1898 convention there were 53 active and 22 associate members. and_ at the next year’s convention, at Cincinnati, there were present 112 active and 46 associate members and 63 guests. The same number of active and associate members attended the 1900 convention in Columbus as in 1899. At the 1900 convention, William Allen Veach, of Newark, O.. was elected secretary, succeeding Mr. Fisher, who had been secretary since the association was organized.
Convention in Evansville.
The convention in Evansville, Ind., in 1901, was notable in that it was the first annual meeting held outside of the State of Ohio. As the distance was so great for a majority of the members, it was with hesitation that Evansville had been decided upon, but the large attendance pronounced it notably successful. The hospitality of the city was very pleasing to the association. Among other features were a barbecue at Cook’s Park, a trolley ride about the city, a carriage ride around the city and a visit to the new pumping station with a trip down the shaft of the pump pit below the level of the river. Dr. Worsham and Mr. Von Behren describing the construction and completion of this work. After this, a banquet was served on the first floor. Another entertainment feature was an excursion down the river to Henderson. The next year’s convention, that of 1902, was also held in the State of Indiana, this time at Indianapolis. Dayton, O.. was the meeting place in 1903, when a large number of papers were read, among them “The Cincinnati Water Works,” by Frank J. Kelley, and “The Water Works of New York City,” by W. R. Hill, chief engineer, New York Aqueduct. Superintendent C. W. Wiles, of Delaware O., read: “A Retrospect of the Central States Water Works Association.” The association met in Toledo, O., in August, 1904, when the papers read included “Some Peculiarities of Water Meters,” by C. W. Wiles. In September, 1905, the association convened again in its first meeting place, Columbus, O., this time with 138 members and 43 associates. A river excursion was a notable feature of the 1906 convention, which took place in Cincinnati, O. A visit was made to the new pumping station at Torrence road and the intake pumping station at California, O. Lunch was served there, after which the setting basins and 60-inch force mains were inspected. A banquet was served on the boat on the return trip. Wheeling. W. Va., was the scene of the convention in 1907. The entertainment was elaborate, including a banquet and a large program of papers were read.
Convention in Pittsburgh.
Ninety active and 32 associate members attended the 1908 convention in Pittsburgh, Pa., the only year in which the association met in Pennsylvania. A feature of this meeting was a trip by special train as guests of the Westinghouse works to East Pittsburgh, and a visit to the Westinghouse Electric Manufacturing Company’s plant and the Pittsburgh Meter Company’s plant. There was also a trip to the McKeesport Water Softening and Filter Plant. Columbus, O., was again the meeting place in 1909, and a visit to the Columbus filtration works and pumping station was made. At this convention a resolution was adopted commending to the legislatures of Ohio and other States within the territory of the association legislation establishing public utility commissions. In 1910 the convention met again in Indianapolis, Ind., visits being made to the filtration plant, reservoirs and laboratories. A visit in a special launch to the East Side intake crib at Cleveland, O., was the feature of the 1911 convention; held in that city. It was at this convention that R. P. Bricker, of Shelby, O., the present secretary of the association, was first elected to that post. Detroit. Mich., was the scene of the annual meeting in 1912, and the delegates were welcomed by Mayor William B. Tompson. At this convention the matter of affiliation with the American Water Works Association was referred to the executive committee. Cedar Point, O., was the meeting place in 1913, and the matter of affiliation with the American Water Works Association was further discussed at this convention.
The 1914 Convention.
Last year, 1914, the association met in Wheeling. W. Va. The mayor, Hon. H. L. Kirk, delivered an address of welcome, and J. C. Martin, president of the association, responded. Those then elected and who are the present offices are: President, F. W. Collins, Manistee, Mich.; Vice-President, W. C. Davison, Charleston, W. Va.; Secretary, R. P. Bricker. Shelby. O.; Treasurer, A. W. Inman, Massillon, O.; Executive Committee: J. C. Beardsley. H. L. Williams, W. J. Scroggins; Finance Committee: C. W. Wiles, E. Tobias, D. G. Brown. John W. Hill, chairman of the arrangements at Cincinnati for the coming 1915 convention of the American Water Works Association, appeared before the committee and presented argument in favor of the Central States Water Works Association to affiliate as a chapter or section of the American Water Works Association, and he made the suggestion that if the association were not prepared to definitely accept the proposition at that time, that they hold their 1915 convention in Cincinnati at the same time as the American Water Works Association and make their decision at that time. The convention discussed the matter and at the conclusion of the discussion it was decided that sentiment was favorable to affiliation, but decision would be reserved for the present until May, 1915, and that the convention would be held in Cincinnati the same week as that of the American.
Where Conventions Have Been Held.
The meeting of the Central States Water Works Association has been held in the State of Ohio eleven times, three times in Indiana, twice in West Virginia, once in Michigan and once in Pennsylvania. Four meetings have been held in Columbus, two in Cincinnati, two in Indianapolis and two in Wheeling. The following table gives the convention city and the president for each year since the association was organized:
Year. President. Convention City.
Feb., 1898—J. O’Shaughnessy, Columbus, O.
Sept., 1898—Thos. R. Cook, Springfield, O.
1899—C. W. Wiles, Cincinnati, O.
1900—Harvey Cockel, Columbus, O.
1901—Joseph J. Pater, Evansville, Ind.
1002—Joseph J. Pater, Indianapolis, Ind.
1903—Frank J. Kelley, Dayton, O.
1904—W. K. Ferguson, Toledo, O.
1903—Chas. J. Thuman, Columbus, O.
1906—T. R. Cook, Cincinnati, O.
1907—John Langan, Wheeling, W. Va.
1908—Wm. Schwertfegcr, Pittsburgh, Pa.
1909—T. H. Vcrner, Columbus, O.
1910—A. L. Holmes, Indianapolis, Ind.
1911—J. C. Beardsley, Cleveland, O.
1912—J. C. Martin, Detroit, Mich.
1913—J. C. Martin, Cedar Point, O.
1914—F. W. Collins, Wheeling, W. Va.