The Chelsea Water Plant
The forty-seventh annual report of the Chelsea, Mass., Water Department, issued by Commissioner George Cassell shows the receipts in 1915 amounted to $113,705.11 and the expenditures totalled $92,724.97. The suprlus is $20,981.24. The Metropolitan water levy for 1915 was $49,742.74. The water works are owned by the city of Chelsea. The construction was commenced in 1S67. The source of supply is the Metropolitan system, taking water from the Nashua River at Clinton, Mass.; Lake Cochituate and Sudbury reservoirs. The range of pressure on street mains is: Low, 41 to 60 pounds; high, 39 to 96 pounds. The total estimated population at date of the report was 43,426 and the estimated population on the lines of pipe and estimated population supplied are the same. The total consumption for the year was 1,059,019,000 gallons. Of this, 704,118,000 gallons passed through meters, the percentage of consumption metered being 66 per cent. The average daily consumption was 2,901,421 gallons, being 66 gallons per day to each inhabitant. The cost of supplying water, per million gallons, figured on total maintenance, including State levy, was $61 and the cost of supplying water, per million gallons, figured on total maintenance, interest on bonds, was $74. Mains were extended 1,776 feet during the year. The total mains now in use is given as 43.37 miles. The number of hydrants added, public and private, was 11, and the number now in use is 384. Seventy-five service taps were added during the year, making the number in use 4,971. The number of meters added was 169, and the number now in use is given as 4,955. The report states that difference in number of services and the number of meters in use is due to premises temporarilly unoccupied. The percentage of services metered is 100. The percentage of receipts from metered water was 98.